Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Which to Build
Old 07-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Which to Build

I'm making the move to all grain and I have a question. I've been researching what kind of all grain setup I want to build. I like the simplicity and cost of a single step mash, but I like the idea of consistency of a HERMS system. I'm sure that I would have no problem brewing consistently good beer with a single step. I've noticed that some all grain recipes have multi step mashes. By building a single step setup, am I limiting myself on he varieties of beer that I can brew?

Old 07-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Liked 172 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Horse a piece. Folks will argue RIMS vs. HERMS or a combo of the 2 all day. The reality is both are great. I do batch sparging with a make-shift RIMS system and love it. My issue is when you make great beer, why change the process??? Hell I would dance naked around the MLT under the moon if it meant great beer everytime...the rest is just preference...

I'm not drunk, I'm from Wisconsin.
We have been out drinking your state since 1848!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #3
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A single step doesn't limit your ability to brew specific beers at all. I view the step mashing as an advanced technique that I will try eventually, but it's not something that's absolutely necessary. A single step is simple and works great for me, and like Zamial said, why change something that works great? Check out this link. I think you will have a better understanding of why people step mash. Good luck and let us know what you choose
Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
Liked 1013 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'd start with single-infusion mashes for now. You want to learn the AG process first and foremost.

RIMS & HERMS can always be added later. *Even* if you're dealing with a Igloo cooler mash tun, RIMS or HERMS can be added later.