Briess golden light DME vs muntons plain light question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickerman

Reaction score
I usually just use muntons plain light dme, but I'm thinking of buying some briess golden light DME in bulk. I was just curious if briess golden light is similar to muntons plain light, and what any difference may be. I'm not really concerned with color differences, and am mainly interested in making IPAs/hoppy beers if that is factor at all. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
wickerman

As a rule, when brewing extract, I try to use the lightest extract possible and draw all my color and flavor profile from specialty grains. I recommend Briess extra light or "pilsen" DME.

I like my DME to be as close to base malt as possible. 2-row base malt hovers around 34-37 ppg and 2 L. With this important fact in mind, you must also consider the different characters of English vs. American 2-row. The English variety is slightly more characterful and complex, whereas the American variety is more clean and neutral. Both can be good in an IPA, but it really depends on the brewer's preference. If you want an IPA with decent malt presence, then the American variety needs a little more help from other malts whereas the English variety will be good on it's own or with minimal help. If you want an IPA with clean or very low malt presence, then go with the American variety along with some corn sugar. Pilsener DME is completely different in character than 2-row. If you want that bready, biscuity, clean, pils character, then go for it. You can use any of these four in an IPA...

Briess Pilsen Light = 44 ppg / 2 L = (probably contains American Pils Malt and Carapils)
Briess Golden Light = 43 ppg / 5 L (probably contains American 2-row, Carapils, and maybe some Light Crystal)
Muntons Light = 44 ppg / 5 L (probably contains English 2-row, Carapils, and Light Crystal)
Muntons Extra Light = 37 ppg / 3 L (probably contains English 2-row and a touch of Carapils)

I prefer Muntons Extra Light myself. Mix it with some American 2-row, wheat malt, corn sugar, maybe a touch of light crystal (although not necessary) and you have a great, clean, characterful foundation that isn't too sweet. I also find that since it offers the lowest ppg, that it tends to ferment out better than the others, leaving you with a drier IPA, which I prefer.

If it has fewer ppg then it has less to ferment in the first place. You would need more to get the same OG. Given the same OG does it ferment further?

You do need to use more of the lesser ppg DME to attain desired OG, but in the same respect, the higher ppg varieties have more trouble fully fermenting out. I know this from personal experience, but there have also been numerous studies on Briess vs. Muntons fermentability. Just do a simple google search.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably just go with the golden light dme, unless I can find muntons extra light for a good price.
Thanks again,
wickerman

I'm thinking of buying a 55 lb bag of extra light munton's from NB due to the significantly cheaper price per pound. I plan on brewing a variety of beers, and am wondering if this extra light is a versatile malt. Im soon brewing a oatmeal stout, brown ale, blonde ale, and trappist ale. Is it a good idea to go for a big bag of extra light and store it?

I'm thinking of buying a 55 lb bag of extra light munton's from NB due to the significantly cheaper price per pound. I plan on brewing a variety of beers, and am wondering if this extra light is a versatile malt. Im soon brewing a oatmeal stout, brown ale, blonde ale, and trappist ale. Is it a good idea to go for a big bag of extra light and store it?

I know its been awhile but I have been buying the 55lbs boxes for awhile. It is a lot cheaper and I have brewed several different ales from stouts to a pumpkin ale with it.

Back