Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Insanely fast Nottingham fermentation?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Insanely fast Nottingham fermentation?

On Sunday, I decided to brew a pretty simple small batch BIAB AG pale ale, because as we all know a full carboy is a happy carboy. Everything went very well with my brewday, according to Beersmith I hit 77.5% efficiency, I ended up with about 2.75 gallons of wort in the carboy, and I came in at 1.052 OG (expected 1.048). Aerated the wort by rocking/shaking the carboy, then pitched a packet of Nottingham in at a wort temp of about 68. I did not rehydrate the yeast, I just pitched it on top. Closed everything up and set it in the basement (ambient temp of ~65 degrees).

Monday morning before work, I went to check on it and the airlock was furiously bubbling, roughly once every 2 seconds. Had a nice big krausen, I'd say about an inch and a half thick. Smelled glorious. Came home Monday night and found that the krausen had fallen and there was no discernable activity in the airlock (I know, that's not a good indicator, but for reference there was none). Same yesterday morning, and still nothing last night. I could tell something was happening, as the bubbles on the surface were showing signs of life, and if I looked really close I could see movement in the wort itself (bubbles rising up for lack of a better way to describe it).

My first thought was that maybe I didn't have a great seal, since I didn't actually pick up a bung for this carboy (got it used on Saturday) and just used one of the orange carboy caps with two openings (one capped, the other with an airlock). So I stopped at a LHBS near my office at lunch today (just discovered it's there, yay) and picked up a bung. Got home, washed it and sanitized it, and decided to check grav while I had it open. Sanitized my thief, opened up the carboy, got my sample - it's at 1.010. According to Beersmith, my estimated FG is 1.011. Nottingham that fast, or did I just way overpitch by putting a whole packet in? The sample actually tastes pretty good, and I'm sure after I leave it to clean up for a couple of weeks it'll be great, but I didn't see anywhere near that amount of activity from the small batch Centennial Blonde I did with Wyeast 1056.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Liked 157 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 89

the dry yeast has way more yeast cells than a pack of wyeast. you over pitched that 2.75 gallon batch, you made a big starter.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

According to your numbers and the mr malty yeast calculator, you would have probably been OK with a half pack of notty or a whole wyeast. I have done 2 gallon batches pitching nottingham and mine usually bubbles good for about 48-72 hours but I like to ferment in the lower temp ranges around 64. I'm not an expert, but i bet you'll have good beer. I'm curious as well if the speedy ferment makes a difference. In for the experts.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Liked 448 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 1012

I've had notty finish quite fast for me as well. Usually around 3-4 days though. You should be fine.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Recovering from Sobriety
Liked 105 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Currently using Notty for the first time. Fermenting very fast at 62 degrees in an IIPA.
2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Effect of Pitch Rate on Beer Flavor
Pitch rates, in addition to strain, temperature, and gravity, make a dramatic difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any beer. The pitch rate will have a direct effect on the amount of cell growth during a fermentation. Cell growth decreases as pitch rates increase. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
Excess levels of diacetyl
Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
Increase in ester formation
Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
High terminal gravities
Stuck fermentations
Increased risk of infection
High pitch rates can lead to:
Very low ester production
Very fast fermentations
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)
With some beer styles, where a complex ester profile is desirable (German Wheat) it can be beneficial to under pitch. Over pitching can often lead to a very clean beer lacking an ester profile (banana). This is a common problem with subsequent generations of Wyeast's Weihenstephan Weizen #3068. Conversely, beers that require a clean profile should be pitched an an increased rate.

osagedr Likes This 
Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Liked 140 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thepack of notty reads" for 1 to 5 gallons"
So, what you are looking at is a regular naughty Notty ferment