Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Upset Stomach from Beer?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
twilbrew247
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Upset Stomach from Beer?

Is it possible for yeast to reactivate in your stomach and cause a gassy upset stomach?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Yes. Normal. Your gut will adjust in a week or two.

PS - this is good for your GI tract...ever heard of "probiotics?"

EDIT: Revvy, I'd figured you'd post - you have a ton of great info on this...I was looking for one of your more detailed posts but couldn't find it.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

It's not that it "reactivitates" in the stomach, it's just that our digestive systems are not used to a lot of yeast. Yeast farts are quite common in people just starting to drink bottle conditioned beer, home brew or otherwise. But usually your body does get used to it.

And the yeast is actually really really good for us.

There's a ton of threads on this topic, so you might want to do some reading.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
DrunkleJon
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2046 Times on 1447 Posts
Likes Given: 1048

I seem to fondly remember the toxic green gasses one... its a shame i can no longer find it. But, yeah. Your body gets used to home brewed and bottle carbonated beer on its own.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 671 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 269

I never had the problem when I started homebrewing because I always drank a lot of nottle conditioned craft brews.

On the other had several friends had major gas when they started brewing. They could empty a room.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

It has to do with something called oligosaccharides, it's the same stuff that is in bean that causes us to toot.

You can read an explination by me about it in this thread. Bad Gastro-Intestinal Response

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
goodmojo Likes This 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
twilbrew247
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
It has to do with something called oligosaccharides, it's the same stuff that is in bean that causes us to toot.

You can read an explination by me about it in this thread. Bad Gastro-Intestinal Response
Thanks that explains a lot. I did cold crash my beer prior to racking to keg, but since it carbed nicely after a week in the keg, i started drinking. So probably a lot to do with it being such a young beer.

Someone mentioned living yeasts... what are your thoughts on the ability for yeast to survive the hostile environment of the gut?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilbrew247 View Post

Someone mentioned living yeasts... what are your thoughts on the ability for yeast to survive the hostile environment of the gut?
I had something like that happen once. I think I had a thick layer of krausen stuck to the top of my stomach. My tummy felt ill for two days. A half a bottle of Pepto bismol helped me yak out that krausen.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #9
kanddr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I remember having all sorts of farts when I first started drinking my home brews but dont have that problem now. Now I know why! Interesting.
On deck: Amarillo Pale Ale

Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #10
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I get a little loose in the caboose when I use 8oz of lactose sugar in a 5 gallon batch.