Last year's yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inexplorata

Reaction score
So I did a bunch of experiments with wild yeasts last year, and actually wound up with several bottles of something I liked quite a bit.

I've been reading about the harvesting process, and intuitively it seems a little overcomplicated for cider making. Is there any compelling reason I can't simply pour the last 20 oz. bottle of my favorite cider into a carboy full of juice, swirling the heck out of it to get all the yeasties?

I didn't pasteurize, but did carb in the bottle, and backsweetened with a little lactose.

You'd need way more yeast than is provided in one bottle regardless of it being 20oz. You should take the last couple ounces from that bottle, swirl it around inside to suspend the yeast and pitch that into a starter. You'll need to propagate the yeast to get a large enough colony. Otherwise you'll just put the yeast under too much stress and won't end up with the same finished product if it even reaches terminal gravity.

Back