First All Grain with a BIAB - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain with a BIAB

Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma
Liked 59 Times on 48 Posts

Check my technique below:

I have:
8 gallon kettle
2 gallon kettle
1 gallon kettle

I am brewing this recipe:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1533613/s...es/sugar-snaps

With about 12 lbs of grain or less and 1 quart per lb I can do a thick mash in the bag with the 8 gallon kettle . My next thought is the best way to get good sparging. I was aiming at dunk sparging in the 2 gallon kettle then pour sparging that same bag of grains in a colander over the 8 gallon kettle making sure I hit my 6 gallon pre-boil volume. Do I check gravity by putting the hydrometer in that pre-boil volume? I'm not planning on doing an iodine test. I will be mashing at 153-155 and keeping it there via insulation and towels for about 90 minutes or 60, I'm not sure what time is right.

Thanks again!

Ps: I've pretty much re-reviewed all the partial mash and biab resources here and elsewhere by forum and vid.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
knuckleheadbrewing
Recipes 

Jul 2012
North Georgia, GA
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I brewed BIAB for awhile...I found on smaller beers (less then 1.050) I had no issues. With a fine crush on the grain 75-80% efficiency is possible. However, I never did a sparge with I did BIAB....I would take out my bag and basket and sit it over a bucket and allow it to drain for 20-30 minutes....usuaully collecting close to a half gallon of wort. Then I would toss it into the boil....

I had good results with BIAB except when I tried a bigger beer and like a 15lb grain bill...what a nightmare...
Fermenter 1: Sado Hopicuss IPA
Fermenter 2:
www.facebook.com/knuckleheadbrewing

Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma

Maybe my dunk sparge vessel will need to be 4 gallons to hold the bag so I could pick this up with a 20% off coupon : http://www.harborfreight.com/stainle...set-94829.html

Old 07-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma

70-80% ? Thats awesome! Yea I would never try anything with more that 13 lbs of grain. All my favorites will need to be extract with specialty grains, too high a gravity for BIAB. I've always sparged my specialty grains with great results so the technique is very familiar to me. It's amazing how much more "tea" I extract that way actually.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Windsor, CO
Liked 591 Times on 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbradle View Post
Maybe my dunk sparge vessel will need to be 4 gallons to hold the bag so I could pick this up with a 20% off coupon : http://www.harborfreight.com/stainle...set-94829.html
I've dunk sparged in a fermenting bucket before. Just boiled up some water to 170 and poured it over my grain bag in the bucket. Then I put the lid on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Worked fine.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Burbs of the Big Easy, La
Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts

I have a 9 gallon pot and have done 15.5 lbs for a 1.077 beer. Wasn't easy but I did do a mini sparge with about half the grains. My biggest problem is pulling the bag out.......gotta use a collander and remove a little at a time into another bag. Luckily, most of the beers I brew (IPA) are 13 or under and work out very well.
I have a Barley Crusher and set on factory default, it crushes awesome. I average about 80% efficiency with no sparging but I do let me grains drip for a long while as the boil gets going and that seems to work well.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma

So what are your thoughts on what the volume will be if I stick with 1.25 quarts per lb? Close to the top of the 8 gallon kettle?

13 lbs of grain x 1.25 quarts per lb will be 15 quarts so a 4 gallon strike water volume will cut it well. Surely that bag will swell to an enormous weight which I'm fully capable of lifting. I have no trouble carrying the 8 gallon pot with 6 plus gallons of wort up and down the stairs.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I've dunk sparged in a fermenting bucket before. Just boiled up some water to 170 and poured it over my grain bag in the bucket. Then I put the lid on it and let it sit for 15 minutes. Worked fine.
Excellent idea!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
ArcLight
Recipes 

May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Liked 126 Times on 96 Posts

This link will tell you what you want to know:
http://www.buildabeer.org/beerquickcalc.php

At 1.25 Q/LB you can use the 8 gallon pot.

I wonder if your mashing will be less efficient at 1.0 Qt/LB compared to 1.25? Will it be harder to gelatinize the sugars? (I read that in a paper on HBT somewhere). Or maybe its a positive , as the enzymes are concentrated.

I do BIAB, but since my stove burners are weak, I use two 5 gallon pots.
I am soon going to brew a Bourbon Barrel Old Ale with a 16.5 lb grain bill.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
djbradle
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Central MA, Ma

This is my question as well in terms of efficiency with water volume to grain weight. With 1.25 quarts it will be thick and with just 1 quart the mash will be very thick but it's all in a bag and with two sparges I expect to pull almost all the sugars out as long as my volumes are correct. With 4 gallons of strike water and 2.5 gallons of sparge water for dunk and pour I expect to come up with very close to 6.5 gallons to start the boil. Some water will be kept by the spent grains but how much I don't know.