Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Harvesting coconut oil from porter secondary?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
MoonUnitAlpha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Harvesting coconut oil from porter secondary?

I have my first porter in primary, and I plan to rack it onto toasted coconut in the secondary. As per many suggestions I will chill the whole secondary to get the coconut oil to congeal on top of the beer, then siphon from under the oil layer to bottle.

My question is: What do you think about skimming the coconut oil left behind to use in cooking food? Any tips to harvest it, will it have a nice porter flavor, or will it be nasty? Any experiences?