Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 10k USD to start a home brewing business. Possible?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #71
red96jeep
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
I agree that a sell on premises facility is pretty necessary, but I don't think it has to be a brewpub. A new brewery just opened with a taproom a couple miles away from me and they have a nice setup and excellent beers. They've teamed up with some local food trucks to have food available most days they're open, plus there are a number of fast food places right around the corner that you can grab a to-go order and bring to the taproom to eat. Their margins are pretty low given that they're renting an industrial space and not dealing with food preparation at all.

EDIT: Though their system was surprisingly small, so I'm sure they'll be upgrading pretty soon.
Your right, I only said brewpub because in my state you have to be classified as a "brewpub" to sell pints of beer. In Maryland liqueur laws are county by county so in some counties a brewpub does not need a kitchen, in others you have to have a food requirement to sell pints of beer.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #72
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96jeep View Post
Your right, I only said brewpub because in my state you have to be classified as a "brewpub" to sell pints of beer. In Maryland liqueur laws are county by county so in some counties a brewpub does not need a kitchen, in others you have to have a food requirement to sell pints of beer.
Ah, got it. One of the (very few) things California gets right is laws generally very friendly to small breweries.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #73
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We have a local startup nano that acquired a building last Fall, and they are still not done satisfying all the bureaucratic requirements. There are three guys, each with a piece: a brewer, a marketer, and a lawyer. They've put together a startup / pilot rig of 2 bbl., and plan to make a quantum leap from there once there is a demonstrated market in this area. They are self-distributing under the new law in IL, and have a tasting room in the same building as the brewery. This strikes me as well planned, well thought out, and I think it has a good chance of success. But they raised several times the amount mentioned in the OP, just doing a Kickstarter- quite apart from whatever other capitalization they may have. I realize that there are some states that may let you brew in your basement, but this isn't the 1990s when outfits like New Belgium and DFH started up. And, yeah, Jim Koch of Sam Adams fame was successful, but his rich father invested in Boston Brewing to make it happen.

I endorse the posts that say to do a business plan. Also see a lawyer.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.
SweetAmmonia Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #74
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
To me, that would be taking a fun hobby and turning it into wage slavery.
I think I am already there.... I brew a lot and give a lot of beer away to friends. Which means it pretty much takes up the majority of my free time. Every day off I have some brewing related stuff too do. Today I stepped up a yeast starter, cleaned up a jockey box, cleaned fermenters. Tomorrow I brew. The next day off I bottle a bunch of beer and fill out comp entries. I am operating on the 10 thousand hours principle...which essentially says that to master something it takes 10 thousand hours. At this rate I should be a master in another 20 years or so
SweetAmmonia Likes This