10k USD to start a home brewing business. Possible? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 10k USD to start a home brewing business. Possible?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 02:39 AM   #21
omokoro
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 38
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls View Post
Subd I'm looking into it also but in ny. I found a building for $10,000 rent for the yr ($833 mo). I figured start with either 1bbl or if I can get money 3.5 bbl. Brew like 5-7 times a week. If its 1bbl n I sell 750ml bottles . U get about 165 bottles from 1bbl. Most places sell that size beer around here from $7-10 ea. So let's say I sell for $5 ea. 165 x $5. $825 for that 1bbl batch. Minus cost. I would say around $325 at most. So a profit of around $500x5(times a week) is $2500 week x4 weeks is $10,000 mo. I'm sure u can still make a decent profit out of that after all cost. Am I right?
Read Sam Calagione's Book, "Brewing Up a Business". You're missing the part where the distributor takes his piece, and the retailer takes their piece. Unless you're going to self-distribute. And beer doesn't sell itself. The beer business is extremely low margin. This means you need volume to turn a profit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #22
davidr2340
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 428
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts


Foggy Noggin Brewing. Pretty damn good brewery about 5 miles from my house... 1/2bbl set-up... Tonight he's on tap at Pike Brewing.

__________________
David - Mill Creek Brewing Co.

Primary: Empty
Kegged: Hazelnut Brown Ale / Tipple Twister Barleywine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #23
evrose
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 840
Liked 304 Times on 160 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls View Post
Subd I'm looking into it also but in ny. I found a building for $10,000 rent for the yr ($833 mo). I figured start with either 1bbl or if I can get money 3.5 bbl. Brew like 5-7 times a week. If its 1bbl n I sell 750ml bottles . U get about 165 bottles from 1bbl. Most places sell that size beer around here from $7-10 ea. So let's say I sell for $5 ea. 165 x $5. $825 for that 1bbl batch. Minus cost. I would say around $325 at most. So a profit of around $500x5(times a week) is $2500 week x4 weeks is $10,000 mo. I'm sure u can still make a decent profit out of that after all cost. Am I right?
This is so stunningly oversimplified that it's sort of cute, right down to the use of "u" instead of "you".

amandabab Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #24
onthekeg
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 1,786
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts


You most totally can if you contract brew! Thats what I am doing. I am working on the brand, but its only 6k for me to get my first batch of beer brewed and packaged.
I figure if the beer does well, I will add a couple and build by brewery with an established market. If not, I spent some hobby money.

SweetAmmonia Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #25
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,882
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
You most totally can if you contract brew! Thats what I am doing. I am working on the brand, but its only 6k for me to get my first batch of beer brewed and packaged.
I figure if the beer does well, I will add a couple and build by brewery with an established market. If not, I spent some hobby money.
Does that include your licenses, taxes and approval for labels?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #26
slamram99
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
baton rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 21

http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/s...highlight=nano

read this article. It will help you. This is a local guy down here in louisiana.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #27
onthekeg
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 1,786
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Does that include your licenses, taxes and approval for labels?
The 10K does.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #28
SweetAmmonia
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Portland, Oregon
Posts: 6


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Check out Below Grade Brewing in Bend. The guy started amazingly small, brews in his basement, and sold all his initial beers at local farmer's markets with $15 day permits from the OLCC. You'll probably have to keep the day job, but you can start small. I don't think he even has a website yet, he was still just using his facebook page last time I searched for a site. (ok, still no site)

According to this, he had to only allow access to the basement brewery from an outside door. So, there might be some additional home improvements involved.
I contacted Dean the other day. He has been super accommodating to my questions about the brewing business. Thanks for the source.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ChuckO's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Keyrock, WV
Posts: 1,022
Liked 144 Times on 103 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by integra93ls View Post
Always nice to have a holes around. YOU are so worried about how people spell!!!!!! Does it make a difference ?
It certainly would make a difference to a banker if he were thinking of loaning you money based on a business plan.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #30
midfielder5
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,450
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by omokoro

Read Sam Calagione's Book, "Brewing Up a Business". You're missing the part where the distributor takes his piece, and the retailer takes their piece. Unless you're going to self-distribute. And beer doesn't sell itself. The beer business is extremely low margin. This means you need volume to turn a profit.
I also recommend this book. Sam was brewing two (or was it 3?) times a day on his 10 gallon system.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
home brew supplies business plan help 2Moose General Beer Discussion 8 01-18-2016 09:13 PM
Community Supported Brewing Business boiseburb General Beer Discussion 8 08-15-2012 01:04 AM
Home Brewing - What should I start with paintball7472 General Beer Discussion 14 07-12-2012 03:17 AM
Reading Brewing up a business... lovin' it year2beer General Beer Discussion 15 12-12-2011 11:03 PM
How to start a home brew shop???? wshymas General Beer Discussion 7 11-22-2006 02:43 AM


Forum Jump