Worried about bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

organicrust

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to homebrewing and I just finished bottling my first extract beer.

I am worried that I may have created bottle bombs, however. I am fermenting with Cooper's ale yeast. The beer is a light ale with an initial SG of 1.040 (measured with my hygrometer). I bottled after 14 days fermentation and the FG was 1.012 the day before bottling.

What worries me are four things:

1) The recipe from my LHBS states a FG of 1.009 and I am 3 points high. (The recipe was for both an AG and the extract versions, so perhaps the 1.009 was expected for AG.)

2) During primary fermentation, I let the batch go down to 62F for a few days. I was playing around with my homemade chiller and it got out of hand before I recovered. On the other hand, my primary fermentation was very vigorous, with temps running about 72F during the first few days, even with maximal cooling.

3) I did not obtain serial SG readings. The reading of 1.012 was taken the day before bottling. (My fault, I know better than to have done this.)

4) There was airlock activity (0.5 bubbles/min) on the day before bottling. This may be due to me bringing up the chiller temp in an attempt to force any last fermentation out of the yeast (I was worried about #2.)

So to sum up, I am worried that I experienced a stuck fermentation brought on by the sudden chill during primary fermentation and, now that my bottles are carbing at 78F (room temp for me), I will experience bombs.

I should also add that I didn't stir the dextrose solution into my beer (but did let the siphon "whirlpool" it).

I have sequestered the bottles in rubbermaid tubs and put them in a storage closet with a metal slatted door, but I really don't need my neighbors to call the cops when they hear "gunshots" from my apartment. Could someone advise/reassure me?

I read through the forums and it seems that bottle bombs are a not uncommon worry among noobs. I have this awful feeling that a perfect storm is brewing in my utility closet (one that will void my deposit to boot).

I was a chem major in college and have seen a few nasty pressurized disasters in my day (and heard stories from my professors, to boot), so I am perhaps more worried than most. Ignorance is bliss, my friends.

Thank you for your time.

I don't think that there is a high probability of bottle bombs. Mistakes were made, you might get some over-carbed bottles, but i doubt any will explode. OF course, keeping them in that container is a good idea anyway.

62f is a perfectly fine fermentation temperature for ales. Preferable, even.

Don't trust your airlock. Bottle after 3 days of unchanged hydrometer readings in the future.

I really don't see any reason to stress, just put the bottles in something like a plastic tote while they carb in the off chance you have a weak bottle (good habit to be in anyway)

I ferment on the low side with everything except hefe yeast (59-65) and usually have fg within a week so the temps seem within range.

Welcome to worrying about every detail, it will all be worth it in a few weeks so just let the yeasties do their thing.

edit. I have only started stirring in the priming sugar. I have done many batches by simply letting the beer mix by racking onto. Haven't had an unevenly carbed batch but it is a good idea.

all that typing tells us is you don't know if fermentation is complete.

1.012 is probably done concidering coopers yeast and a first extract brew.
3 points isn't far from the estimate, and all it is, is an estimate.

Nothing can be done except hoping and put them in a plastic tub.
start a second batch and refine your process.

Wow, thanks for the quick feedback guys! I really feel like it's all in my head, but it was worth getting some outside input.

I've gotta say, this is the perfect hobby. Easy to learn, but difficult to master. All the ethanol is a nice byproduct, as well.

(If one or more do pop, I'll post a picture to serve as a warning to take serial SG readings before bottling.)

Hey organicrust,

If they have been in the bottle for a week or so, you could go ahead and chill one for a couple days, no less then try it. If it's heavily carbed, get them all into the fridge right away as this will slow it down. If they are fine, rock on. :rockin:

I agree with the others, you likely have very little to worry about, at least on this topic :drunk:

just put the bottles in something like a plastic tote while they carb in the off chance you have a weak bottle (good habit to be in anyway)

A very good point - I just had a weak bottle give out, the batch wasn't overcarbed but one of the bottles clearly couldn't handle the pressure anymore. Good thing I had 'em in a tote or the beer (and mold that followed since I didn't notice until I checked 'em after 3 weeks) would have been in my carpet instead of nicely contained in the tote.

I doubt that the bottles will explode, you probably will just get over carbonated beer.

Next time be sure that fermentation is over before bottling.

I highly doubt you will get a bottle bomb, or highly carbonated beer. 14 days in primary, 1.012 FG, your good in my opinion. Did you factor in temperature with your hydrometer readings?
I don't know if it's the perfect hobby, but the cost / benefit ratio is high. And the enthusiast support is fantastic. Wont be long, and you will be reassuring members that "everything is OK, relax, you didn't ruin your beer":)

Latest posts

Back