My second brew ever, its a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout clone, partial grain extract. Left it in the primary for two weeks, the racked to the bottling bucket and bottled. Looked great, smelled great, tasted great.
First mistake: stored about a case in my bedroom closet. This is 9 days after bottling, I go into the closet this afternoon and smell beer. Find that one bottle has exploded. Carefully take the bottles off the shelf and place in a black plastic bag in a large plastic tub. I look through them (wearing leather gloves and safety glasses) and find that two bottles have a white foam at the top. The rest of the batch looks ok. So here's the sort of funny part. I decide to open these two bottles. The first one had partial foam, I open it and SPEWWW! All over the counter, sink, etc. At least I had it in the sink. The second bottle had a lot of white foam. I'm thinking I have to open this fast so it doesn't spew like the first one. I pulled that opener and BOOM! it sounded like a gun went off! The opener recoiled into my hand and I thought I had just lost a finger! Luckily no, but my heart rate is still elevated! I ran like a scalded dog!
After I had bottled I thought about my priming sugar, which I added first to the bottling bucket to let the beer naturally mix it as it flowed in from the fermenter. I think my plastic hose floated up a little from the bottom and I had planned to go back and stir just a bit but forgot.
So I am thinking I had an isolated infection in 3 bottles, the rest should be fine. Or, is there a chance these 3 bottles were actually the first ones drawn in the bottling process and actually had an inordinate amount of priming sugar, and I will find that the rest of my batch has a non-uniform amount, meaning I may have a few non carbed beers.
Open to any and all comments. Thanks