Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Puzzling chevre

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
Bottenbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Puzzling chevre

I ran into a strange situation with some chevre I have been trying to make. Last weekend I visited my parents in Minnesota, where it is much, much easier to find goat's milk than Iowa. So I naturally stocked up and tried to make some chevre when I got home. All I got was a really thin yogurt-like substance that never really formed properly. Normally I would blame that on ultra-pasteurizing, but the box specifically stated that it wasn't ultra-pasteurized. So anyways, I saw a can of the dehydrated goat's milk at the grocery store yesterday and I thought what the heck, I have 4 more packets of chevre culture and no milk to use it on. So I re-hydrated the powder for about a half gallon worth of milk, brought it to temp, put the starter in and went to bed. This afternoon I checked it, and it had formed a beautiful curd. A quick 8 ours hanging in the sink later, and I have some really nice, creamy chevre.

So the point of this post is that somehow dehydrated goats milk out curded minimally pasteurized fresh goats milk. Go figure.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
joes2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

UP milk makes for a thicker set when making lactic and semi-lactic styles. The whey protein denatures and adsorbs on the casein, leading to a firmer gel. Similarly, adding additional casein in powdered form increases casein bonding, leading to a thicker set. It's like using powdered milk when making yogurt.

For your initial set, I suspect the culture + temp mix was not optimal, leading to strain selection that results in poor gellation properties.