Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Anyone running the Tower of Power?

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
toddegg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The mounting bracket actually replaces one of the legs of the TopTier, so you kind of have to disassemble the TopTier to attach it, so I may take my time with that. If you're just starting your build - it'd be much easier to wait until you get the mounting option for the Tower of Power to fully assemble your TopTier. I doubt heat is an issue. As far as RIMS v HERMS, I don't have any experience yet with RIMS. I've always brewed with a HERMS configuration - I've yet to brew with the TOP, I just have it assembled, programmed & tested / working.

cheers

Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #32
gjabball
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddegg
The mounting bracket actually replaces one of the legs of the TopTier, so you kind of have to disassemble the TopTier to attach it, so I may take my time with that. If you're just starting your build - it'd be much easier to wait until you get the mounting option for the Tower of Power to fully assemble your TopTier. I doubt heat is an issue. As far as RIMS v HERMS, I don't have any experience yet with RIMS. I've always brewed with a HERMS configuration - I've yet to brew with the TOP, I just have it assembled, programmed & tested / working.

cheers
I would be curious what you think when you use the RIMS. When's the next brew day? Thanks for the info.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 89

i just got my TOP and got it all connected, the burner fired up on the first shot. right now my mash tun and boil kettles (both are kegs) are having couplers welded on for recirculation/ball valve in the mash tun and a sight glass in the boil kettle. i ended up fabricating some brackets to reuse the shelf that originally came with my 2 burner top tier so i'll have a spot for my laptop and module. once it's all together i'll post some pictures.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #34
toddegg
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

my next day will either be tomorrow or this weekend.
the TOP keeps things circulating briskly. i don't think caramelization will be an issue with the RIMS setup.... i think BE goes thru these processes pretty carefully before they release products (i.e.- big delay in even getting the TOP). I'll post something, maybe even a video if I get energetic.

cheers

Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddegg View Post
my next day will either be tomorrow or this weekend.
the TOP keeps things circulating briskly. i don't think caramelization will be an issue with the RIMS setup.... i think BE goes thru these processes pretty carefully before they release products (i.e.- big delay in even getting the TOP). I'll post something, maybe even a video if I get energetic.

cheers
Just keep the flow high and the heat low. I had my inaugural brew on the TOP last week. Zero issues with caramelization of the mash liquor. Temperature control was as steady as I could have hoped.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #36
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

did anyone get prompted for a driver after plugging in the communications cable? i can't get the connection between the computer and the module to show up. the green dot is lit which is supposed to indicate a connection but the dot is lit even with the cable unplugged. comm port 3 is available but then it says something like "no controller found" sadly, the retailer is of no help.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
jclucca
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
did anyone get prompted for a driver after plugging in the communications cable? i can't get the connection between the computer and the module to show up. the green dot is lit which is supposed to indicate a connection but the dot is lit even with the cable unplugged. comm port 3 is available but then it says something like "no controller found" sadly, the retailer is of no help.
Email Blichmann. They have phenomenal service and respond very quickly.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #38
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclucca View Post
Email Blichmann. They have phenomenal service and respond very quickly.
I did email them, hope I can sorry it out without having to ship it back.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #39
dcbc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There is a video on youtube (and Blichmann's site) about the "Link" software. There is some sort of comm port selection in the software. If the drivers have downloaded, but you still can't connect, you might need to make sure it is setup on the right port. Just a guess.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #40
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
There is a video on youtube (and Blichmann's site) about the "Link" software. There is some sort of comm port selection in the software. If the drivers have downloaded, but you still can't connect, you might need to make sure it is setup on the right port. Just a guess.
i figured it out. the drivers are very slow to load up on my XP laptop, slow enough that it seems like the computer is frozen. when plugged it into my windows 7 netbook the drivers were still slow to load but faster than the XP machine. it would be nice if the drivers were a download from their website.