Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Meat Smoking, Curing and Sausage Making > Filing Cabinet Smoker Ideas

Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
carlisle_bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Hi

I would think that a 55 gallon drum for a ugly drum smoker would be a pretty easy thing to score ....

Bob

Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

I would think that a 55 gallon drum for a ugly drum smoker would be a pretty easy thing to score ....

Bob
It probably would. I was thinking a keg would be a fun smoker as well. Just thinking and researching is all this is right now, until I get more serious about this.

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
bighornmountaindew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been trying to smoke meats for quite a while using my regular old charcoal grill and I have had fantastic results. This is possibly the coolest idea that I have seen for a smoker. We just set aside a few file cabinets at work, so I will try to snag one tomorrow. I am pretty excited to have a project like this and I am looking forward to smoking more! My basic idea is to take one of these 3 drawer cabinets and a firebox out of a .50 cal ammo can. I'm planning to take the guts of the drawers out and just hinge the doors. I've built a basic cooktop stove out of an ammo can already so I think that using it as a firebox will be pretty simple. Just plan on cutting matching holes in the cabinet and can and lining it up and bolting together. I might put a small piece of ducting between it to seal off smoke better and just flare it out on both sides. As soon as I get everything lined up I will try and post pics in a new thread as a project.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Take the guts out of the drawers???????

The ability to pull stuff out but leave it hanging seemed like the best part to me. Think about it.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
bighornmountaindew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

All of the drawers had the little plastic wheels on them. I don't want to mess with that. I agree that It would be one of the best parts of using a file cabinet. I found one that was a two drawer that did not have plastic in it, but I don't think a two drawer will be big enough for me. I may end up using that one anyway to keep the drawers as you said. I gotta get on this quickly before everyone snatches them up!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #16
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1654 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Lowes sells all-metal drawer parts.

Smoking would eff them up pretty quick, but get some industrial ones and they would last years.

Pull it out baste it with one hand??? priceless.