Classic Style Smoked Beer North to Alaska Smoked Porter - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Classic Style Smoked Beer North to Alaska Smoked Porter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
AmandaK
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
KCMO
Posts: 1,500
Liked 142 Times on 106 Posts


Brewed this tonight and the apartment smells amazing.


This was my final batch on my old system, here's to a good one!


__________________
BJCP Master Beer Judge

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #12
Hanso
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


Sundowner, this one has been on my list for a while but I lack the means to smoke the malt. Do you have recommendations for a commercially available substitute for the 2 row? I want to make sure the balance is about right and don't want to load it down with all peat smoked malt or something else like that which is probably wrong.


__________________
Hanso's Simple Sour Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
sundowner
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Walk About Creek
Posts: 222
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanso View Post
Sundowner, this one has been on my list for a while but I lack the means to smoke the malt. Do you have recommendations for a commercially available substitute for the 2 row? I want to make sure the balance is about right and don't want to load it down with all peat smoked malt or something else like that which is probably wrong.
It won't be quite the same beer, but Briess has some cherry wood smoked malt that makes an excellent smoked porter. I would cut the amount down to around 4 lbs though...
__________________
A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Hanso
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Madison, WI
Posts: 279
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sundowner View Post

It won't be quite the same beer, but Briess has some cherry wood smoked malt that makes an excellent smoked porter. I would cut the amount down to around 4 lbs though...
Thanks! And 5 lbs of regular 2 row then, to get to 9 total?
__________________
Hanso's Simple Sour Cider

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
sundowner
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Walk About Creek
Posts: 222
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Yes, that should do it. The 1st time I used the cherry wood smoked malt, I treated it like the alder wood and used it for all the base grain...Too much smoke flavor. Cheers!
__________________
A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
DSmith
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 796
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts


I think you could use 9# of Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt and not be too smokey (about 64% for this recipe). I've used 20% and 60% in smoked porter and would recommend the higher percentage.

I plan on brewing this recipe but am skeptical about the mash temperature and yeast (probably my preference for a drier porter). I'd think mashing at 153F and using a high attenuating neutral yeast like Wyeast 1056 would get to the recipe 1.018 final gravity with over 10% of crystal malt.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
sundowner
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Walk About Creek
Posts: 222
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
I think you could use 9# of Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt and not be too smokey (about 64% for this recipe). I've used 20% and 60% in smoked porter and would recommend the higher percentage.

I plan on brewing this recipe but am skeptical about the mash temperature and yeast (probably my preference for a drier porter). I'd think mashing at 153F and using a high attenuating neutral yeast like Wyeast 1056 would get to the recipe 1.018 final gravity with over 10% of crystal malt.
Sure, if you use Weyermann's beechwood smoked malt, 9 lbs is fine. This beer was not designed to be dry and Wyeast 1968 is a perfect fit. If you want a dry porter, there are many other recipes for that...
__________________
A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
DSmith
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Robbinsdale, MN
Posts: 796
Liked 76 Times on 63 Posts


I didn't want to imply that mashing lower or switching yeast could make a better beer. I will brew this as-is because it's a proven recipe with lots of awards.



sundowner Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Smoked Porter critique - first AG w/ smoked grains jessup Recipes/Ingredients 3 03-03-2012 02:48 AM
Imperial Smoked Porter based on Mason's smoked porter starrfish Recipes/Ingredients 4 10-28-2009 08:05 PM


Forum Jump