Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > first cider of 2012 - black cherry apple

Old 07-14-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default first cider of 2012 - black cherry apple

I got bored this evening and decided to go for a 1 gallon cider experiment using 1 gallon of apple cider and 3 cups of 100% black cherry juice. I used Lalvin EC-1118 for the first time, and added 2 cups of sugar. My initial gravity is 1.102. It didn't take but a few minutes for the yeast to multiply exponentially as you can see in the picture. I'll let it sit in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks, rack it into an empty 1 gallon wine bottle, then leave it be for a few more weeks. My neighbor got to witness cider being made for the first time; she just may convince her boyfriend to join me in my hobby...if my homemade Hefeweizen doesn't do the trick first Anybody else use black cherry juice in their cider?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120713_215036.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	68170  

Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It is getting awfully close to tasting this one! Today if I have time, ill do a taste test and post some pictures and results.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
markowe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sounds like an all-too-drinkable brew, like the "Snakebite and Black" we used to drink as teenagers (cider, beer and blackcurrant syrup - yes, dear oh dear, to be blamed for many a youthful misdeed...)

Let us know what it's like.

Is that store-bought cider? Seems a shame to use fresh apple juice in an experiment like that, not sure there would be much of a difference. We have frozen black cherries round here, I think I would be tempted to chuck a load of those in the secondary one time.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Apple_Jacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

No, I got this stuff from the store. The local orchard wasn't yet open when I started this one. I did taste this about a month ago and it seemed to be doing alright. I was hoping to have this one ready for Halloween or thanksgiving. If not, then Christmas or new years.

And I ended up making this one a wine as I let the ABV run away from me. I do have a thread about this with a more detailed recipe.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
UlyssesGrant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never tried it. I am assuming the black cherries are less tart than red? Should turn out great. Making my first batch (46 Litres), and I'm really amazed at all of the possibilities as far a flavoring goes. I've heard of raisins, cinnamon, crasins, pear, and caramel. Never even heard of anyone using black (or regular) cherries though.