What kind of kegs are these? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What kind of kegs are these?
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
DPBISME
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,029
Liked 84 Times on 65 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealSnout View Post
Yeah, That $75 scared me, but there are quite a few to choose from on ebay for much cheaper. Some are bidding very low. Guess not a real hot commodity.
ebay... what are they calling them so I can take a look see...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
OatmealSnout
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Arlington, TX
Posts: 11

just search Hoff-Stevens



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealSnout View Post
Yeah, That $75 scared me, but there are quite a few to choose from on ebay for much cheaper. Some are bidding very low. Guess not a real hot commodity.
It still looks like you are going to pay as much for coupler (or more) as you would for a cornie.

McEver Distributors will ship you as many kegs as you want, all guaranteed to hold pressure, for a starting price of about $45 shipped. I got two for $91 shipped. You can order a pallet or more if you want and pay about $30 shipped each.

Not yet as rare as it would seem
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
OatmealSnout
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Arlington, TX
Posts: 11

I only paid $20 total for all three of these kegs, so if I have to end up paying $50 each for two couplers, I'm still only at $120 total, so $40 per keg including couplers. Hope I can win the couplers cheaper on ebay though. If anyone has any of these for sale, let me know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts


I wonder if you can get the "pump" style couplers and just modify it to accept CO2? That seems like a cheaper way as those couplers look to be cheaper.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
JuanMoore
Outlaw Illegal Potluck Organizer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 21,436
Liked 3625 Times on 3458 Posts


Keep looking on e-bay and in the classifieds here. They typically sell for $5-$10 each. Some of them may need new o-rings, which will run another $5-$8 since one is an odd figure 8 shape. I don't see any reason you can't get functional couplers for about the same price as a set of corny QD's. There's a set of 3 on e-bay with a current bid of $7.50. There were recent sales on e-bay for sets of 3 couplers with winning bids of $12.50 and $14.00.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It still looks like you are going to pay as much for coupler (or more) as you would for a cornie.
Not sure where you're looking, but that's simply not the case. Especially if you factor in the fact that you'd still need to buy a set of QD's for a standard corny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I wonder if you can get the "pump" style couplers and just modify it to accept CO2? That seems like a cheaper way as those couplers look to be cheaper.
Closed listings on e-bay show the party pumps selling for 2-3 times as much as the standard couplers. And that's before modification.
__________________
I'm trying to find some porn filmed by a dog wearing a GoPro. - SharonaZamboni

Hunter, when you get bored, will you put a taco in my elephant's hands for me? - Hat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
OatmealSnout
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Arlington, TX
Posts: 11

Yep, I'm high bidder on those now. fingers crossed... don't bid me up please!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 241 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Keep looking on e-bay and in the classifieds here. They typically sell for $5-$10 each. Some of them may need new o-rings, which will run another $5-$8 since one is an odd figure 8 shape. I don't see any reason you can't get functional couplers for about the same price as a set of corny QD's. There's a set of 3 on e-bay with a current bid of $7.50. There were recent sales on e-bay for sets of 3 couplers with winning bids of $12.50 and $14.00.




Not sure where you're looking, but that's simply not the case. Especially if you factor in the fact that you'd still need to buy a set of QD's for a standard corny.



Closed listings on e-bay show the party pumps selling for 2-3 times as much as the standard couplers. And that's before modification.
Cornies go for about $40. I don't see any of the couplers he's looking at going for that cheap with Buy it Now, PLUS he spent a few bucks on the kegs themselves. QD's are super cheap, comparitively.

about $30 here for party tap hoff-stevens.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Old-...ht_4105wt_1397

I do see some VERY lucky bidders walked away with HS couplers for a few dollars plus shipping. There's also a sea of "didn't sell" closed listings. If you are lucky, yeah, you can get a steal...then again I've never been the guy who got something for nothing on ebay. YMMV.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
JuanMoore
Outlaw Illegal Potluck Organizer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JuanMoore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 21,436
Liked 3625 Times on 3458 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
I do see some VERY lucky bidders walked away with HS couplers for a few dollars plus shipping. There's also a sea of "didn't sell" closed listings.
Those two statements don't make any sense together. You don't have to be lucky to get them cheap, since there's very little demand for them, which is the same reason there's a bunch of didn't sell listings with very low starting bids and no reserve. How many of the overpriced ones with "buy it now" sold? The fact is that the going rate for used HS couplers is less than a new set of corny QD's, whether you choose to believe it or not.
__________________
I'm trying to find some porn filmed by a dog wearing a GoPro. - SharonaZamboni

Hunter, when you get bored, will you put a taco in my elephant's hands for me? - Hat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #20
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Tomball, TX
Posts: 1,066
Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts


Would it possibly be cheaper to drill and add ball lock fittings and just buy new lids?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone use mini-kegs or 1gallon kegs with a beer engine jmarshall Bottling/Kegging 0 06-07-2012 08:57 PM
Got 2 kegs with no bleed tab of any kind?? StarCityBrewMaster Bottling/Kegging 6 05-14-2011 03:55 PM
What kind of kegs are these? Norm Bottling/Kegging 11 03-05-2009 03:02 PM
How big a chest freeze for mix of Corny kegs and commercial kegs? StunnedMonkey Bottling/Kegging 5 08-17-2008 05:55 PM
What kind of keg is this? Ed_Savage Bottling/Kegging 8 10-04-2007 04:36 AM


Forum Jump