My BIAB, RIMS, E-Brewery-In-A-Can - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My BIAB, RIMS, E-Brewery-In-A-Can

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #21
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
San Diego, CA
Liked 59 Times on 54 Posts

Sorry if I missed it, but what pump is that? Awesome build BTW!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlscan26 View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but what pump is that? Awesome build BTW!
It's the one sold by greatbreweh.com There are mixed reviews in another thread but I'm real happy with it for this application.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Houston, TX
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My first run with the 25 gal pot and 2, 5500W elements went well. The temp control was so nice. I will be going with a pump after more consideration.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Jem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2011
St Paul, mn
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Brewhass, can I ask what happened that you've decided to a pump? I'm in the process building a a10g ebiab and was hoping to avoid recirculating with a pump, I have pumps from my 3 vessel system but want to avoid the added complexity. Thanks in advance Jem

Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #25
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2012
San Diego, CA
Liked 59 Times on 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223

It's the one sold by greatbreweh.com There are mixed reviews in another thread but I'm real happy with it for this application.
Thanks!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #26
shroomzofdoom

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Piscataway, NJ
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Fine work indeed, really appreciated the detail on the spuds.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Houston, TX
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Regarding the pump, it hopefully solves a few issues. First though, instead of a cloth bag I want to equip my inner basket (solid sides) with a VERY fine upper and lower screen. A pump discharge will be placed under the basket to keep the grains in suspension. Before the end of the mash I want to reverse flow and try to build a bed to filter a bit but I'm pessimistic on that outcome. I do want to circulate post mash trough a filter to get some sediment out prior to the end of the boil. It may be that I'm grinding too fine but I'm tired of clogged filters when moving to the fermenter. Lastly I want to use the pump in chilling.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHaas View Post
Regarding the pump, it hopefully solves a few issues. First though, instead of a cloth bag I want to equip my inner basket (solid sides) with a VERY fine upper and lower screen. A pump discharge will be placed under the basket to keep the grains in suspension. Before the end of the mash I want to reverse flow and try to build a bed to filter a bit but I'm pessimistic on that outcome. I do want to circulate post mash trough a filter to get some sediment out prior to the end of the boil. It may be that I'm grinding too fine but I'm tired of clogged filters when moving to the fermenter. Lastly I want to use the pump in chilling.
Basically like the Speidel Braumeister. I'm rolling around the idea in my head as well. Finding a stock pot that would be the same size as the basket and suspend in the same manner, fit a false bottom in it. In the center of the pot, weld in a tube that has openings at the bottom below the false bottom. At the top of the pot, below the rim, punch a series of holes around the circumference of the pot for the wort to return to the kettle. The top of the tube serves to secure the top screen in place with some simple fastener arrangement. And a qd arrangement of some sort on top of the tube inlet allows you to attach the pump. The first step is finding the pot to modify. Wonder if Bayou Classic would be able to special order an un-punched basket, think I'll shoot them an email and see.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Houston, TX
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

You've got the general idea. I went with a different pot because I wanted thicker walls for ease of welding in sanitary fittings. I found a 25 gal pot in 1.2mm wall and rolled my own basket for a fit with a 1/4" gap. I'm glad that part is behind me as I am slow. The bayou Classic stuff looks good if weldless using a bag. Shooting for brew day #2 in 3 weeks.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #30
oatc05
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Gainesville, FL

Love the build! This is what I want my BIAB system to be. I have the same 44 quart pot/basket combo you do. Can you elaborate on the issue with basket? Does the basket restrict flow too much? If I actually grow a pair and attempt a real brewing DIY project like this, I will have plenty more questions for you. FWIW I moved out of Gainesville a little over a year ago. Hoggtowne Ale Works FTW!