Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > My BIAB, RIMS, E-Brewery-In-A-Can

Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeering View Post
Very nice, how much experience did you have with doing the silver solder before you attempted this? I like the look of those over the weldless kits
I've had moderate experience soldering, brazing and welding. If you can solder copper pipe, you can solder the spuds. The key is the flux & solder combo that has been discussed at length in the soldering stainless thread.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great work on this, I am planning a similar system (albiet a bit smaller, for 2.5-3.5 gal batches) to serve as an easy pilot system for my 1/2BBL HERMS rig. Love the size and simplicity!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I've had literally 0 interest in BIAB threads up till now, this thing is pretty sweet. I would love to build a stove top version for smaller test batches.

Hows that great brew pump treating you?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry if I missed it but the pot looks like stainless. If so, why the anode? Great build. Firing up my build using a 25 gal pot with 2, 5500W elements on Friday.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 50

This is simply amazing. How much did everything cost you roughly? And how much on top of that would I need to pay you to build this for me?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
sasky7777

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I believe the anode is to protect the element from rust.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
CS223
Recipes 

Roughly I'd say it cost around $500. Pot & Basket was $114, 10ga cord $50, $20 for the twist locks, another $100 for Auberins stuff. Spuds, camlocks, plate chiller, pump. I guess I ought to add it all up and see.

The anode is to protect the steel component of the element from rusting and any other active part that might be prone to corrosion. It wasn't my idea, it was detailed elsewhere on HBT. Plus the magnesium, what little gets liberated is good for healthy yeast growth.

The 5500W element is overkill for the application but it does get it up to temp in a hurry and it doesn't gunk up. The pump for circulation is mandatory because on a full kettle, it will have thermal striation and that drives the PID controller nuts. Easily 20 degrees overshoot without circulation.

Overall I'm real happy with how well it works, I pressure ferment in a corney so once it leaves the kettle, that's the last it sees of the outside world & air until it's in my glass.

I might make a stinger of sorts to put in the middle of the grain bed during mashing and I might open up the holes in the basket some. The last brew backed up on me twice because the bag got plugged. All it took was pulling the bag up just a little to clear the material. I was also stirring it and that seemed to contribute to the problem. Sort of like a stuck sparge but not as difficult to remedy. I'm also kicking around an idea in my head to replicate the up-flow circulation like the Speidel Braumeister.

You could easily replicate a 120V version for 2-2.5 gal that would work in a kitchen and store easily. Even mine would work well for an apartment or condo dweller, just unplug the dryer, plug in the pot & brew. You could probably set it on top of a converted mini-fridge, brew, fill a corney in the mini-fridge, pressure ferment, rack to a serving corney & dial down the mini-fridge to serving temp. You could dub it the "Broom Closet Brewery".

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm trying to get circulation by manipulating the inner basket for flow. This constant flow reversal (up-down) should help keep things cleared.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
CS223
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewHaas View Post
I'm trying to get circulation by manipulating the inner basket for flow. This constant flow reversal (up-down) should help keep things cleared.
I thought of trying the same thing, using a variable speed gear motor to raise & lower the basket, for me it meant more work involved than using a pump.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm trying to be pump-less and eventually use fine screens on the top and bottom of my inner basket versus bags. Raising and lowering will keep the screens clear. Theoretically. Tommorow I'm just using a bag for its first use.