110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 110v Recirculating eBIAB 2.5 gallon batches

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #71
ekjohns
Recipes 
 
May 2009
IL
Posts: 1,403
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


I noticed you have the probe in the kettle as opposed to a T on the outflow. any chance this is causing you to over shoot your mash temps from dead spots? I know Kal has his hooked up through the T. That way you are reading the hottest liquid and can not overshoot. With the way you have it there is a possibility, especially with the grain bag that channeling could isolate some of the liquid by your probe. Thus the system is tricked into thinking it is at a lower temp and over heats.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #72
grandequeso
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
jacksonville, fl
Posts: 184
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


If the contactor is buzzing really a lot of times it is because it is not screwed down tight enough. Then again some contactors just buzz louder than others (you did buy a new one I hope) as they get older they get a little noisier also. Here is a trick I picked up years ago, take a piece of foam (the gasket from a weatherproof outlet) and mount it underneath the contactor. Works like a charm to quiet it down.
grandequeso

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 AM   #73
jrb03
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts


Ya that's where I would start too. Make sure everything is tight. Are you getting good voltage to the element when the contactor engages?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 AM   #74
jrb03
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
I noticed you have the probe in the kettle as opposed to a T on the outflow. any chance this is causing you to over shoot your mash temps from dead spots? I know Kal has his hooked up through the T. That way you are reading the hottest liquid and can not overshoot. With the way you have it there is a possibility, especially with the grain bag that channeling could isolate some of the liquid by your probe. Thus the system is tricked into thinking it is at a lower temp and over heats.
My temps are spot on. Don't fluctuate at all. That's the reason for the pump. First couple of brews I monitored different spots in the kettle with my long dial therm. Spot on, don't bother anymore. Btw, I brewed an Irish red today, still loving this rig!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #75
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 2,012
Liked 379 Times on 286 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grandequeso
If the contactor is buzzing really a lot of times it is because it is not screwed down tight enough. Then again some contactors just buzz louder than others (you did buy a new one I hope) as they get older they get a little noisier also. Here is a trick I picked up years ago, take a piece of foam (the gasket from a weatherproof outlet) and mount it underneath the contactor. Works like a charm to quiet it down.
grandequeso
I went and checked the mounting. It feels pretty solid. I tightened the screws and it didnt help. The weird thing is, I can hold the contractor poles(?) down and it suppresses the buzzing/vibration. So the buzzing is definitely coming from the coil assembly.

It fell off my workbench onto the concrete floor. I have a feeling something broke loose.
__________________
I know Bill Brasky

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #76
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 2,012
Liked 379 Times on 286 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03
Ya that's where I would start too. Make sure everything is tight. Are you getting good voltage to the element when the contactor engages?
The element heats up almost instantly if the contactor is buzzing or if I manually engage it. Power seems to be good. All screws are tight.
__________________
I know Bill Brasky

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:57 AM   #77
jrb03
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
The element heats up almost instantly if the contactor is buzzing or if I manually engage it. Power seems to be good. All screws are tight.
You probably know this but don't ever dry fire one of these elements. Will burn out almost instantly. If it is as loud as a dryer alarm I'm thinking your on to something with the fall lol. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. I will say I recently found contactors on amazon for like $5. I would probably order one at least as a backup. I got one for my A/C unit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #78
rack04
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Dallas, TX
Posts: 474
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb03 View Post
My temps are spot on. Don't fluctuate at all. That's the reason for the pump. First couple of brews I monitored different spots in the kettle with my long dial therm. Spot on, don't bother anymore. Btw, I brewed an Irish red today, still loving this rig!
Do you recirculate through the entire mash? What do you have on the outlet side of the pump inside the kettle to keep the splashing down?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #79
jrb03
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 114
Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Do you recirculate through the entire mash? What do you have on the outlet side of the pump inside the kettle to keep the splashing down?
Yes I recirculate the entire mash. I don't have anything on the outlet side. It shoots out and splashes and foams as some of my pictures show. I've thought about adding some hose or something but don't really see the need yet.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #80
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 2,012
Liked 379 Times on 286 Posts


Well apparently contactors do not like being dropped on concrete. I replaced it this morning and it works as it should. Here is a shot of mine auto-tuning:



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4158045159.jpg
Views:	1515
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	74013

Thinking about brewing a DFH 90 minute inspired beer for the first session.

My friend and I ordered all the parts and each built one of these. He brewed a Victory "Hop Devil" for his very first home brew and first brew on the kit. He boiled of .75 gallons over 90 minutes just as you do JRB. He also had ~ 75% efficiency as a total beginner.

I'm looking to brewing on this kit early next week!
__________________
I know Bill Brasky

P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to build a 5 gal, 110v eBIAB kettle Disintegr8or Electric Brewing 102 05-23-2016 12:48 AM
110v Hlt kickrjason Electric Brewing 24 07-08-2012 04:05 AM
110v to 3v??? BigPatBrewer Electric Brewing 18 05-07-2012 06:04 PM
Anybody brew 10g batches with a 2250w 110v ? joeybeer Electric Brewing 3 01-25-2012 12:40 AM
1 PID for 2 110v elements mr_tripp Electric Brewing 6 05-06-2011 03:08 AM


Forum Jump