Ahtanum/Amarillo/Nelson Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossi46

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 at 35
Tasting Notes
citrus, tropical, gooseberry
Brewing Steps: Ahtanum/Amarillo/Nelson Pale Ale
American Pale Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 6/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 11.00 gal Brewer: Darin Curtis
Boil Size: 14.48 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Final Bottling Volume: 10.25 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Prepare for Brewing

Clean and Prepare Brewing Equipment
Total Water Needed: 18.25 gal

Mash or Steep Grains

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.4 %
4 lbs 6.4 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 19.0 %
1 lbs 1.6 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 4.8 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.4 %
8.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.4 %

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 32.89 qt of water at 163.4 F 153.0 F 60 min

Batch sparge with 2 steps (2.29gal, 7.74gal) of 168.0 F water

Boil Wort

Add water to achieve boil volume of 14.48 gal
Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.045 SG
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.10 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 12.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [11.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs

Cool and Prepare Fermentation

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter
Add water to achieve final volume of 11.00 gal
Fermentation Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -

Measure Actual Original Gravity _______ (Target: 1.054 SG)
Measure Actual Batch Volume _______ (Target: 11.00 gal)
Fermentation
6/24/2012 - Primary Fermentation (14.00 days at 67.0 F ending at 67.0 F)

This really turned out great, the only thing I would do is drop the carapils down a bit. The Nelson Sauvin hops really shine, such a unique flavor. Glad I bought a pound, but I'm sure I'll wish I would have got more.

Going to brew this again today. Will drop the carapils down to 1 pound and up the vienna to 4 lbs 8oz.
I kegged 5 gallons and bottled 2+ cases of this stuff 2 weeks ago. All that is left is case and three bottles I'm saving for the fair comp. I took two bottles to the club meeting and it was vary well recieved.

A little up date on this beer. I won best of show at our local county fair. I entered this and a Kolsch which I got a blue ribbon for. First time I have had any of my beers judged. Feels good.

Couple pics.

image-2321864614.jpg

image-3708950984.jpg

I've done this a couple of more times with 1 oz. NS FWH. It is a great beer. Someone should really give it a try.

This looks very interesting. I have been looking for a recipe that uses NS. Will put this on my list to brew.

Yeah, give it a try. If you like NS hops you'll like it. I like to do an extra FWH with the NS. My coworkers and friends love it. It's quickly becoming the house favorite.

I'm going to brew something like this soon but ahtanum and Amarillo in aroma/flavor and something nondescript for bittering

Why the Ahtanum at 60 minutes? Such a low AA hop for bittering? Is the Ahtanum actually going to add any flavour or aroma? If not, then this beer ends up being a mix of amarillo-nelson sauvin, doesn't it? Can one not just put Warrior or Magnum at 60 and get the same thing? Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

I actually added some additional Ahthanum as FWH. It took the IBU's to max for an APA. Smells great so far in primary & is fermenting steadily at 64.

DeltaRage said:
Why the Ahtanum at 60 minutes? Such a low AA hop for bittering? Is the Ahtanum actually going to add any flavour or aroma? If not, then this beer ends up being a mix of amarillo-nelson sauvin, doesn't it? Can one not just put Warrior or Magnum at 60 and get the same thing? Maybe I'm wrong on that though.

It's what I had on hand at the time. Not sure if changing to magnum or warrior would change the taste, but I'm not likely to try it.

govner1 said:
I actually added some additional Ahthanum as FWH. It took the IBU's to max for an APA. Smells great so far in primary & is fermenting steadily at 64.

I've been doing a FWH with the Nelson Sauvin. It's good. May have to try with the Ahthanum sometime.

Paquitin said:
Planning on making something similar, wondering if you have dry hopped with the NS hops.

No, I have not done a dry hop with them. It might be too much, they are pretty strong( in a good way).

Bought my ingredients today. I've been looking to try this NS hop, was thinking of doing a smash but this recipe sounded to good to not try. Also a little confused on the Ahthanum as 60 min hop addition for such a low AA. So the gerneral concensus is NS for FWH, Ahthanum for 60, Amarillo for 10, and then NS again at 5? How much NS for FWH?

Chris7687 said:
Bought my ingredients today. I've been looking to try this NS hop, was thinking of doing a smash but this recipe sounded to good to not try. Also a little confused on the Ahthanum as 60 min hop addition for such a low AA. So the gerneral concensus is NS for FWH, Ahthanum for 60, Amarillo for 10, and then NS again at 5? How much NS for FWH?

Use an ounce for the FWH. I use Ahtanum originally because I had them on hand. I liked the results to much to mess with it.

Dang, bought the Ahtanum already. Never used em, but if you say the beer is better just NS FWH, Amarillo 10min, then NS 5 min I'll take your word on it.

Does Ahtanum go good with Centennial and Cascade hops? Have a 11 gallon batch I am brewing up this weekend thats Centennial 60, then Cascade at 40, 30, 20, 10 and usually do Mt. Hood at 5, but was thinking maybe subbing it for Ahtanum if it would taste good.

I quartered your recipe, as I am only doing a 2.5 gallon recipe but doing even just a .25 NS FWH and .5oz Ahtanum @ 60, .5oz Amarillo @ 10, and .25 NS @5 gives me 66.9 IBU's. Way to bitter for a APA. Even if I bump the NS FWH to .10oz I get 52.7 IBU's. Intense!

The original had 39 ibu. I did not calculate again with the fwh. The fwh won't bitter like the 60.

Brewed today. Got 2.6 gallons w/ OG 1.05 (66% effic.). Pitched a full packet of US-05, which was to much yeast. Hoping it isn't going to produce horrible off flavors. We shall see in a few weeks.

Chris7687 said:
Brewed today. Got 2.6 gallons w/ OG 1.05 (66% effic.). Pitched a full packet of US-05, which was to much yeast. Hoping it isn't going to produce horrible off flavors. We shall see in a few weeks.

More yeast cells mean less esters. Just means a cleaner ferment.. IMO I like pitching US-05 a little Short and ferment in mid 60s which gives you tons of stone fruit flavor.. Good in IPAs/pale ales. You'll beer will be fine

More yeast cells mean less esters. Just means a cleaner ferment.. IMO I like pitching US-05 a little Short and ferment in mid 60s which gives you tons of stone fruit flavor.. Good in IPAs/pale ales. You'll beer will be fine

These esters that will be lacking for the US-05, are they "fruity" esters? Still trying to wrap my head around all the yeast strain details. Seems to be gobs of information on it.

Looking for something to brew with nelson,, looks like I found something to try.

These esters that will be lacking for the US-05, are they "fruity" esters? Still trying to wrap my head around all the yeast strain details. Seems to be gobs of information on it.

I dont think you will notice it with the amazing flavors and aroma you will get from the NS hops. They are pretty powerfull.

I just put mine in a keg for conditioning yesterday afternoon. Good thing too since my ferm chamber heater burned up overnight! Damage was limited to the chamber since it was constructed of all fire retardant materials and well sealed so no O2 was available to feed the fire. The only real loss were two secondary carboys of beer- a Columbus IPA & a California Common.

I just put mine in a keg for conditioning yesterday afternoon. Good thing too since my ferm chamber heater burned up overnight! Damage was limited to the chamber since it was constructed of all fire retardant materials and well sealed so no O2 was available to feed the fire. The only real loss were two secondary carboys of beer- a Columbus IPA & a California Common.

HOLY ****. glad no one was hurt and your house is fine. Sorry for your losses.

Going to bottle my first batch this weekend (2.5 gallon batch). Still has a small amount of haze to it, any recommendations on how much geltain to add to this without stripping out to much flavor?

Got a second batch to make today. Going to try it with WLP051 and going to do a side by side comparison, once both are bottled.

Also, what volume did everyone gas up at?

govner1 said:
Mine has been in the keg conditioning for several weeks. It's next up as soon as a keg blows in my kegerator.
Can't wait to try it!

Drink it before the NS fade.

Turned out pretty good. Just bottled a 2.5 gallon batch, I got 24 bottles and a glass out of it. Tasted like a white wine. The hop flavors were awesome. I'm very excited about this pale ale, very different from what I'm used to.

image_zps75955845.jpg

Looks good. The NS hops give you that Sauvignon flavor.
I need to make some more, but I still have two others I have to get done first.

I already made a second batch last week and I haven't even had a chance to drink this first one carbed up! Had good faith in your recipe! I have a lot of wine drinkers in my family and wine takes to long to age, so this is my substitute for them!

Think I might dry hop the second batch, when it is done fermenting. Has anyone tried this yet? If so, did it yield good results?

Back