Would you folks help me evaluate these pin lock kegs I just bought? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Would you folks help me evaluate these pin lock kegs I just bought?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Geordan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 243
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



Hey all,

I found what I think was a good deal -- five pin lock cornies for $100. The seller had found them in his garage; apparently his dad had bought them for brewing at one point, but never actually used them.

I quickly tested all by pressing down the gas-in pin with a chopstick -- three were already holding pressure, and two were not. I was going to attempt a science-experimenty test with baking soda and vinegar (thanks, MC!) but the owner just said "let's blow some air in them with my compressor!" Well, that did show that the other two kind of leaked a bit, but I'm willing to write that up to the fact that they're all filthy, and there was likely gunge in the seal and/or the lids weren't properly seated.

Two still have original Coke tags on them, the rest do not. Two have what appear to be intact PRVs, one lid has no PRV at all (weird), and two have what look to be broken PRVs. I'm attached photos below.

Short of obviously stripping these down and oxicleaning the heck out of them, does anyone have input as to their condition. Are the "broken" PRVs actually broken? Can they be used as is? Can they be replaced? I'm an absolute newbie at this -- I've never used a keg before in my life. I don't even have any other parts yet, including CO2!

Thanks in advance for your helps, ladies and gents.

Tops of all five kegs:


A closeup of a "broken" PRV:
__________________
Fermenting: American Stout
Kegged: Biere de Garde, Premium American Lager, "May Day" Belgian Pale Ale, "Witty Retort" Light RyePA, "Spring Break" Marzen
Bottled: "Sh!tshow" Schwarzbier, Maibock, Saison, Kolsch

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Valentini
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 28
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Sounds like a steal to me. You could always replace the PRV's for $6-$7 or maybe get a fermentation lid for one of the kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
purplehaze
 
purplehaze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
, Massachusetts
Posts: 389
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts


Great score, most of the pin lock kegs I have don't have PRVs so if it does not leak I would not worry about it.

Take the posts off and remove the poppet valve, give everything a good soaking and replace the o-rings. HD has the correct size (post)o-rings in the plumbing section.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #4
thargrav
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 821
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


This is a great find - clean them & use them!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Geordan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 243
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Thanks for all your feedback so far, everyone!

Would anyone be able to clarify the state/type of the "open plastic" looking PRVs on two of the kegs? They almost look like the plastic relief valve that screws into a normal Pinlock, but shouldn't it be covered by the steel "hood" with three holes that pinlocks generally have?
__________________
Fermenting: American Stout
Kegged: Biere de Garde, Premium American Lager, "May Day" Belgian Pale Ale, "Witty Retort" Light RyePA, "Spring Break" Marzen
Bottled: "Sh!tshow" Schwarzbier, Maibock, Saison, Kolsch

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Apparently the pressure relief valve "innards" are replaceable on those Coke kegs. This website clearly shows what they look like:

http://homebrewingbeersupplies.com/p...ock-Kegs.html/



I'm going to guess that they are removed from under the lid using a flat screwdriver. (There seems to be a slot under it)

I'm not sure if I'd go through the expense of replacing the valves when used lids (with a better release valve) can be had for $5-10. Make sure to test the kegs before replacing anything - except all the rubber pieces since those will reek of Coke.

As for the 18L vs 19L... My guess is that they are 19L kegs but filled to 18L by Coke.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Geordan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 243
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
...
I'm not sure if I'd go through the expense of replacing the valves when used lids (with a better release valve) can be had for $5-10. Make sure to test the kegs before replacing anything ...
MC, great advice as always. I had found those plastic replacement valves as well, and wondered if maybe the two lids I have that have the "open" look (that I originally indicated as 'broken') are just a different look for the same type of PRV.

When you say "make sure you test the kegs before replacing anything," do you mean "because the PRV might be perfectly fine" or because "you might be wasting your time on a keg with a bigger problem?"
__________________
Fermenting: American Stout
Kegged: Biere de Garde, Premium American Lager, "May Day" Belgian Pale Ale, "Witty Retort" Light RyePA, "Spring Break" Marzen
Bottled: "Sh!tshow" Schwarzbier, Maibock, Saison, Kolsch

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
disney7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Maryville, TN
Posts: 399
Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts


Those PRV's are fine. That type is common on pin lock kegs as well as the other type on your third keg that has a PRV.

I don't like the idea of having no PRV at all. KegConnection sells new and refurbished lids that have the manually operable release valve in them. I'd get a couple of those for those two kegs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan View Post
When you say "make sure you test the kegs before replacing anything," do you mean "because the PRV might be perfectly fine" or because "you might be wasting your time on a keg with a bigger problem?"
Yes because they are probably fine.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
DPBISME
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,039
Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts


Buy them!

Make sure they have all the parts... the individual part are more expensive than what he is asking.

Buy them!

They are made of stainless steel and just about cannot be destroyed.

Buy them!

Up until recently you could get used ones for about 35-40 bucks a peice on ebay... but they have just about dried up. They have eather been scraped for the Stainless Steel or shipped to China.

Buy them!

Because you may never see them this cheap again!

Did I mention Buy Them?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert Pin Lock Kegs to Ball Lock WormBoy Bottling/Kegging 26 04-11-2014 11:30 AM
Just bought a pin lock system jerryteague Bottling/Kegging 12 05-24-2012 01:19 AM
So i bought some pin lock kegs today. Full ones. TimpanogosSlim Bottling/Kegging 20 03-20-2012 11:31 PM
Question about converted pin lock to ball lock kegs slogger Bottling/Kegging 4 08-02-2011 08:52 PM
kegs - pin lock vs Ball lock kappclark Bottling/Kegging 9 09-10-2007 03:21 PM


Forum Jump