Rolling Boil on Wort.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a typical turkey fryer setup and it takes 30-50 minutes to get to a rolling boil. About 10 minutes per gallon.

seems like 30 minutes or so with around 4 gallons starting cold. but my stove is an old commercial wolf stove that cranks out an obscene amount of heat. i can bring a small pot to with cold water (like for pasta) in about 3-4 minutes. i love it.

I just tried it on my kitchen stove and gave up after 2 hours.

What do you reckon to this. 9kw. standard single ring burnrers seem to me aroun 5.5kw

d0_2.JPG

3kw is about 10,000 btu. My cheapo turkey fryer is about 65,000 btu. If this is what you have available, I'd recommend sticking to 2-3 gallon worts and topping off to 5 gallons. The two batches I did this weekend were mini-mashes. 2 1/2 gallons of water + grains, then added the extract & boiled. Worked out very well.

Although I did these on gas/propane burners, I've done similar batches on my electric stove. On the plus side for electrics, you can set them on low and keep your mash warm. That's tricky with propane.

Orfy, are you able to get propane there in the UK? I was able to get it while I lived there but on US Base.

Thanks ScottT.

If my second attempt doesn't work then it may be that I need to ship something over. I'm going to try this.

Boiling%20gear.JPG

Edit:

Around 1 hour for the boil on 6 gallons (I wonder if it'll be much difference for wort) And I chilled it in less than 15 minutes with my new wort chiller.
I may reduce the size of the chiller becuase it doesn't all submerge in the wort.

It takes me about 20 minutes to hit boil on my electric stove, but it's already at a decent temp from mashing.

Orfy, I wonder how quickly it would bring it to a boil if the keg was pre-heated a little. I'd wager that thing absorbs alot of heat initially.

I have to brew indoors, and am able to bring 7 gallons to a boil, after mashing, and sparging out (still nice and hot), on my kitchen gas stove in about 20 to 25 minutes. Like Lupus said, it makes a difference that the kettle or keg is already warmed up. I get a nice roll, and have yet to have a boil over.

I'm pretty sure I get 7g going in 10-15 minutes on my turkey fryer. My kettle and wort are warm/hot from mashing, and I also get a headstart on boiling while my second batch sparge is soaking in. But I've never really timed it.

Guys, put a timer on your kettle next time you start to boil. Unless my stainless keg is just too ineffecient in heat transfer, I cant imagine your getting rolling boil on 7 gallons in 10 minutes.

Granted, I don't ever scorch my wort but it takes me a good while to get a full rolling boil. Maybe the thin stainless just doesn't gransfer the heat well.

time to get a rolling boil is going to depend on the BTU rating of your burner...

With a nuclear device, you could boil it to evaportation in a milisecond.

-walker

ScottT said:
Guys, put a timer on your kettle next time you start to boil. Unless my stainless keg is just too ineffecient in heat transfer, I cant imagine your getting rolling boil on 7 gallons in 10 minutes.

I'm time it next time and see...I might be warping time in my addled brewday mind. It's pretty fast, however. My wort is probably already around 140F or more, I suppose (mash ~155, 2 sparges ~170). I'm using ss, also, but just a regular 32qt pot, not a keg. Typically by the time I've dumped my grains out back and rinsed out my MLT I need to start stirring and watching for boilover. I also put the lid on my pot until it foams up nicely, which of course helps get to temp (and lead to horrendous boilovers if not tended).

Try boiling your water in smaller pots. Put a gallon in your brew pot and a half gallon in a second pot get them both going, when the half gallon hits boilng dump it in your brew pot and repeat. It'll be a lot faster than getting the whole 7 gallons going at once.

ScottT said:
Can't believe I managed to find this thread on the first try. Anyways, I finally remembered to time things last weekend. I collected exactly 7g of wort via batch sparging into my 7.5g ss pot. I was mashing at 150F and sparging at 170F in pretty quick succession, so the wort was plenty warm when I kicked the turkey fryer off, just guessing 140-150F.

First sign of boilover = 9 minutes
Started stirring furiously, modulating heat
Boilover averted, hot break broken = 5 more minutes

So from end of sparge to safe, rolling boil ~ 15 minutes.

orfy said:
Don't forget I'm talking from 60f to a boil.
I'll have to wait for actual brew day (soon) to get actual times.

Yesterday, I boiled 5 gallons of water for fun, starting at approximately 55 degrees. Actually, I was calibrating a new thermometer. What I noticed was that there was a large amount of condensation on the outside of the kettle until the kettle got quite warm, and the evaporation of this condensation severely reduced the rate of warming. Simply wiping the condensation off made a noticeable difference.
Next time, I shall start with aboput 1 pint in the kettle, and then add more water as it warms up. This should (I hope) prevent the cooling effects of evaporating condensation.

-a.

I have this turkey fryer set up with a 10 gal., thick-walled, heavy-duty aluminum brewpot. I normally collect 7 gal. of wort (batch sparge) into my pot. Mash temp is usually ~150-155oF; sparging ~173oF. I usually get to a rolling boil/hot break in about 20-25 mins.

But I don't crank the propane burner way up to '11'! I have it at about 80% b/c I'm a very cautious person.;)

Rhoobarb said:
But I don't crank the propane burner way up to '11'! I have it at about 80% b/c I'm a very cautious person.;)
I just crank it...if the turkey fryer glows cherry red that's even better. Usually it sounds like I'm on the deck of an aircraft carrier (or what I imagine it might sound like).

I get about 15 min to boil going full bore on my burner ( will have to look up the number but it is 166,000 BTU aproxx) after the mash out pn 12 gal of wort. Bigger is better but I go through some propane.

Rhoobarb said:
I have this turkey fryer set up with a 10 gal., thick-walled, heavy-duty aluminum brewpot.

I have the same set up. but a 68qt (8.5gal) thick walled aluminum kettle. It seems a bit wider than some so it sits on the outer higher ring ratehr than the inside part (make sense?)
Edit: 34qt not 68. (still 8.5Gal)

What PSI is your regulator? My Jet burner came with a 10psi regulator. I got burner brand new but missing the anything stating the BTU's. It was from a place that resells overstock form places like costco.

I'm from the UK and I've got a 6 gallon Swan electric tea urn. It's got a 3kW plate element and takes about 10mins per gallon to heat from cold.

Back