Sour Cider - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Sour Cider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
cardinalsfan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
OKC
Posts: 199
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



So I want to make a sour cider. I'm thinking about just getting two 1 gallon jugs of apple juice, adding a little sugar to each to get to 1.060 or so and then adding the lacto and letting it work for 3-5 days. I'll let it sit in the beer closet at about 78* and then I'll pitch my cider yeast (ec-1118) and let it go to town. I'll prolly add some tart cherries or tart cherry juice to one of them when I add the yeast. From there, I'll just let it ferment out, throw it in some bottles, let it carb for a few days and fridge. Sound like a good plan?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Double_D's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,938
Liked 203 Times on 149 Posts


Sounds good to me! That cider sounds like something I could get into.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
aceparadis
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Edmonton, AB
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I found ec-1118 strips apple juice of all character, may I recommend D-47 or 71B-1122, 71B is the choice I would make. Use a NON concentrated apple juice as well, I make one gal batches of cider every two weeks, trust me, You want to make sure its NON Concentrated. If your looking for that apple flavour to come through consider spending the cash on actual cider apple juice, normal apple juice just doesn't hold up. 78 seams to me a bit high of a temp, are you getting fusel alcohols ? I suggest pitching at 60 and keeping it at around 65. Nutrients, nutrients, nutrients, your going to need to add em. I found cane sugar/fructose to offer the best flavour.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Oldsock
 
Oldsock's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Posts: 3,237
Liked 255 Times on 169 Posts


Smart to start with the lacto, but I'd guess that after 3 days there wouldn't be much sugar left for the yeast. Cider doesn't have the complex sugars of wort. I did a long aged cider with a variety of microbes and it is slightly tart with a rustic funk, but nothing too crazy.
__________________
Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
cardinalsfan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
OKC
Posts: 199
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsock View Post
Smart to start with the lacto, but I'd guess that after 3 days there wouldn't be much sugar left for the yeast. Cider doesn't have the complex sugars of wort. I did a long aged cider with a variety of microbes and it is slightly tart with a rustic funk, but nothing too crazy.
I saw your post on that on your blog. I'm hoping that using only lacto will really bring the sour. Would you recommend leaving it for less time, maybe just a day or two or until I see some activity and then pitching the yeast? Or maybe using only lacto to ferment it? Also, would the 78* temps be ok for lacto? it seems to like high temps from what I read. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceparadis View Post
I found ec-1118 strips apple juice of all character, may I recommend D-47 or 71B-1122, 71B is the choice I would make. Use a NON concentrated apple juice as well, I make one gal batches of cider every two weeks, trust me, You want to make sure its NON Concentrated. If your looking for that apple flavour to come through consider spending the cash on actual cider apple juice, normal apple juice just doesn't hold up. 78 seams to me a bit high of a temp, are you getting fusel alcohols ? I suggest pitching at 60 and keeping it at around 65. Nutrients, nutrients, nutrients, your going to need to add em. I found cane sugar/fructose to offer the best flavour.
I'll have some d-47 left over from my cherry cider that's fermenting now. I could wash it and use that. I think the AJ is non-concentrated, I'll have to check. I did my last cider at 68* and haven't tried it yet but didn't get any fusels. 78* would be out of range for the d47 but it would be ok for ec1118. I'll just make room in the fermentation fridge!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
Pogopunx82
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Burnsville, Nc
Posts: 212
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


78 Degrees for lacto is fine. It can sour up to 120.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Oldsock
 
Oldsock's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
DC, Washington DC
Posts: 3,237
Liked 255 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogopunx82 View Post
78 Degrees for lacto is fine. It can sour up to 120.
Agreed, although you may run into trouble if you use White Labs Lacto which contains 10% yeast. Oddly my 100% Lacto beer using their strain has very little sourness after 6 weeks. Very strange.
__________________
Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
cardinalsfan
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
OKC
Posts: 199
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


awesome, thanks for all the help guys. I'm just gonna do a straight lacto cider and let it run!! I do plan to carb it so I'll use some neutral ale yeast and backsweeten at bottling.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
sammytag
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Canada
Posts: 24

Any updates on how this turned out?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sour Graff (Beer/Cider Hybrid with Brett) othellomcbane Lambic & Wild Brewing 17 12-06-2012 11:11 PM
Sour Cherry and Sour Apple Berliner Weisse experiment stblindtiger Lambic & Wild Brewing 10 07-21-2012 12:54 AM
Adding campden to mixed fermentation (sour) cider ElkSherpa Lambic & Wild Brewing 4 05-13-2011 05:17 PM
Funky Sour Oaked Cider Panik Lambic & Wild Brewing 3 07-05-2010 12:48 AM
Turning a Bad Batch of Cider into a Sour? BuonAnno Lambic & Wild Brewing 7 06-28-2010 08:01 PM


Forum Jump