kegging bottling a few - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > kegging bottling a few

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
adamber
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
kennewick, wa
Posts: 8


I usually just keg my brew, but I would like to bottle a six pack to keep for down the road. So my question is, what is the best way to get these boys carbonated? Some small recipe of priming sugar, or are priming tablets better off, and do they work well?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
brewski08
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
the library, michigan
Posts: 366
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adamber View Post
I usually just keg my brew, but I would like to bottle a six pack to keep for down the road. So my question is, what is the best way to get these boys carbonated? Some small recipe of priming sugar, or are priming tablets better off, and do they work well?
neither.


works like a charm.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
garbageman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lexington, SC
Posts: 148
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08 View Post
neither.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwIbFQcHYyo

works like a charm.
+1. What he does.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
Darkness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Darkness's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Turners, MO
Posts: 495
Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts


Most brews I do are 10gal and keg five and bottle 5. I had to bottle last night went through 180. It isn't fun but when I go somewhere can't always take kegs.
__________________
Why can't every day be a Brew day?

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bwarbiany's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 2,868
Liked 1286 Times on 712 Posts


While I agree with previous posters that you should bottle off the keg post-carbonation (also ensures you don't have sediment/etc), if you persist on just bottling a sixer and naturally carbonating it, I recommend the carb tabs or drops. When carbonating small numbers of bottles, it's just so much easier than worrying about measuring and mixing priming sugar for a mere 6 bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,201
Liked 7702 Times on 5413 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
While I agree with previous posters that you should bottle off the keg post-carbonation (also ensures you don't have sediment/etc), if you persist on just bottling a sixer and naturally carbonating it, I recommend the carb tabs or drops. When carbonating small numbers of bottles, it's just so much easier than worrying about measuring and mixing priming sugar for a mere 6 bottles.
Yep, I agree. I usually keg, and bottle from the keg to have sediment free beer to bring to others, but those carb tabs work pretty well and are super easy to use. Just bottle 6, drop in a carb tab (or two, or three, depending on the size of the bottles) and keg the rest.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
garbageman
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lexington, SC
Posts: 148
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yep, I agree. I usually keg, and bottle from the keg to have sediment free beer to bring to others, but those carb tabs work pretty well and are super easy to use. Just bottle 6, drop in a carb tab (or two, or three, depending on the size of the bottles) and keg the rest.
I have never messed with carb drops or tabs. Side by side is one method taste and present better then the other? Bottling of keg post carb vs natural with tabs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
brewski08
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
the library, michigan
Posts: 366
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageman View Post
I have never messed with carb drops or tabs. Side by side is one method taste and present better then the other? Bottling of keg post carb vs natural with tabs.
with carb drops, you are going to produce yeast sediment in the bottom of your bottle. this sedimentation does not occur when bottling from a keg if done properly.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Nelson, Bc
Posts: 537
Liked 49 Times on 39 Posts


I have had good success by carbonating in the keg at about 30 psi at a temp of about 1C (33-34F). I turn the refrigerator down low and put a thermometer inside to verify. Then I freeze the sanitized bottles in the freezer. I depressurize the keg until it is about 4 to 8 psi and dispense the super cold beer slowly into the super cold bottles. This gets the bottle about 3/4 full before foam reaches the top. I put a plastic temporary cap on the bottle and put it in the fridge. About 10 to 20 minutes later the foam is gone and I top the bottle up and crown cap it. This works really well for small amounts like six to twelve bottles I want to keep. I've done this with good results if there's a kegged beer I think has turned out nice enough to enter in a competition too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
adamber
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
kennewick, wa
Posts: 8

couldn't I hook some tube up to my tap and run it to a bottle filler.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bottling is to kegging as....... Slipgate General Beer Discussion 3 02-17-2012 09:52 PM
Alternatives to bottling and full kegging? Zakit24 General Beer Discussion 9 10-27-2011 10:22 AM
Racking/kegging/bottling day! Yooper General Beer Discussion 7 09-18-2011 11:06 PM
Kegging and bottling MikeFallopian General Beer Discussion 1 07-22-2011 01:48 PM
A case against kegging - Bottling is better Grinder12000 General Beer Discussion 135 01-29-2010 01:41 PM


Forum Jump