hops turned brown as they were drying - discard them? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > hops turned brown as they were drying - discard them?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
odoyle81
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



We had a really mild winter in Colorado and my cascade hops matured early and some of them turned brown either on the vine, or as they were drying.
Should I pick these brown hops out and discard them?
I've googled around, and most people seem to say just use them, but some people say throw away the oxidized and brown hops....
What do you guys think?

Pictures below... you can see that the brown hops still have lots of lupulin glands that are dark yellow and look fine to me.
Click image for larger version

Name:	hops0001.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	67943   Click image for larger version

Name:	hops0002.jpg
Views:	1481
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	67944  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
odoyle81
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


really? no one has any input?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
PleasantValleyHops
 
PleasantValleyHops's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
frederick, md
Posts: 372
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by odoyle81
really? no one has any input?
Id have input if i knew. Aroma and stuff seem fine or they smell funky like they look
__________________
Carroll Brewing CompanyFrederick, Md.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
odoyle81
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


yea, they smell fine.. I'll use em and see what happens

Gigan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
BRONCOBREW
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Idaho
Posts: 42
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by odoyle81 View Post
yea, they smell fine.. I'll use em and see what happens
No problem. I always have a few browns in my hop bags. As long as they are mostly green, you should be Okay.

Are you going to vacuum pack them?
__________________
Home Brewing.....More Than a Hobby!
It is an Evolution!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GVH_Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
McFarland (Madison), WI
Posts: 1,102
Liked 255 Times on 183 Posts


There are various reasons why they turn brown. It could be wind damage...rubbing/friction...but that's usually just on the outside bracts. It could be powdery/downey mildew, which is kind of what this looks like. In that case, throw out those that are over 50% brown or have really nasty looking spots.

It could be from your drying process. What temperature were you drying at? They will also dry with age. So if you were on the backside of the optimal picking time, you can get this.

Basically, you've got the right idea. They smell good and the lupulin looks good...go for it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
slomo
 
slomo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
sacramento, ca.
Posts: 477
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
There are various reasons why they turn brown. It could be wind damage...rubbing/friction...but that's usually just on the outside bracts. It could be powdery/downey mildew, which is kind of what this looks like. In that case, throw out those that are over 50% brown or have really nasty looking spots.

It could be from your drying process. What temperature were you drying at? They will also dry with age. So if you were on the backside of the optimal picking time, you can get this.

Basically, you've got the right idea. They smell good and the lupulin looks good...go for it.
+1 on this. On my last harvest time got away from me and some of the hops were partially brown. I used them just the same as the green ones, and the ipa came out great.
__________________
Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
BRONCOBREW
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Idaho
Posts: 42
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
+1 on this. On my last harvest time got away from me and some of the hops were partially brown. I used them just the same as the green ones, and the ipa came out great.
I have watched many commercial hop harvests. They cut down the bines and process all the hops at the same time in September. There is always a mix of Brown Hops with the green hops.......I need to find a photo.....
__________________
Home Brewing.....More Than a Hobby!
It is an Evolution!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
BRONCOBREW
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Idaho
Posts: 42
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Check out the huge pile of hops behind yours truly.....see all the brown hops....



This is from Mike Goodings Hop farm near Wilder, Idaho......
__________________
Home Brewing.....More Than a Hobby!
It is an Evolution!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
DaBills
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Rochesterish
Posts: 255
Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts


I want to dive into that pile like scrooge mcduck and his pile of money.
__________________
Go Bills!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drying out hops Stout Man Hops Growing 26 08-14-2012 04:13 PM
The drying of Hops mkut Hops Growing 4 09-08-2011 12:14 AM
Hops drying... junkyard brewer Hops Growing 4 08-29-2011 04:37 PM
Fresh hops that turned brown Budger Hops Growing 2 09-18-2010 03:09 AM
Drying hops with a box fan dsmithpdx Hops Growing 4 09-06-2008 01:20 AM


Forum Jump