Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Second Day of Fermentation - Airlock Issues

Old 07-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
crs1089
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Second Day of Fermentation - Airlock Issues

This is my 10th or so brew, so I'm beginning to feel like I know what I'm doing. I had a first today, though. It's the second day of fermentation on my IPA. I went in and checked yesterday and it had a nice slow bubble, and went in and checked this morning but there had been some overflow.

The airlock was still in the top of the carboy (it's a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket type), but there was maybe a tablespoon or two of overflow on the lid and the water in the airlock was orangey brown like some beer had gotten into it.

I just took the airlock out and went and cleaned it and put fresh water in and stuck it back in. Right thing to do? Is there anything else I need to take care of? The batch isn't ruined is it?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
SledgeH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

In the future use vodka or star san solution in your airlock. The beer is fine, you've just got a really active fermentation. The pressure is flowing out of the bucket, there is little chance of contamination. Some brewers even do an open fermentation... Regardless, everything is fine, the beer will be great, I'd suggest a blow off tube for this one unless you want to clean up after it for the next couple of days.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs1089 View Post
This is my 10th or so brew, so I'm beginning to feel like I know what I'm doing. I had a first today, though. It's the second day of fermentation on my IPA. I went in and checked yesterday and it had a nice slow bubble, and went in and checked this morning but there had been some overflow.

The airlock was still in the top of the carboy (it's a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket type), but there was maybe a tablespoon or two of overflow on the lid and the water in the airlock was orangey brown like some beer had gotten into it.

I just took the airlock out and went and cleaned it and put fresh water in and stuck it back in. Right thing to do? Is there anything else I need to take care of? The batch isn't ruined is it?
The batch isn't ruined, and there's no need to worry. I've had this happen a few times and I just clean the airlock, re-sanitize it, and put it back on. You should re-sanitize it if you didn't already ... do so as soon as you can. But don't worry.

You may also want to look into a blowoff hose for your next brew, just as a precaution against this in the future. It'll save some mess.

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 07-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1271 Posts
Likes Given: 2921

Definitely not ruined. Just keep things sanitary. Once fermentation kicks in the aggressive part usually only last a few days. You could stick a blow off tube on it or just monitor closely over the next few days. After that fermentation is pretty mellow and an airlock works just fine. The current trend seems say a blow off tube is a must. I've brewed quite a few batches over the last few years and only used a blow off tube a couple times though. Your mileage may vary (YMMV)

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
kellanv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your beer its not ruined in any capacity. Basically the fermentation was strong and the krausen got up into the airlock. If that happens worse it can cause a pressure buildup and literally blow the airlock out of the fermenter.

The first thing I would suggest is using vodka or diluted star san in the airlock to prevent any contamination from being sucked back into the fermenter. Even better would be to use a blow off tube for the most active portion of fermentation.