Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by panfishrfun View Post
I'm fermenting in a bucket
Have you opened the bucket to see if the beer is showing visible signs of fermentation? You may have a poor seal of the bucket lid or around the airlock, and it could be fermenting just fine despite no airlock activity.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
Have you opened the bucket to see if the beer is showing visible signs of fermentation? You may have a poor seal of the bucket lid or around the airlock, and it could be fermenting just fine despite no airlock activity.
I've had that happen, no airlock activity, but the yeast were busy, a hydrometer reading every other day will let you know. Plus any krausen (foam) on top is a sure indicator of fermentation. And opening the bucket, or taking out the airlock to look is not going to hurt anything.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 2894

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob View Post
I've had that happen, no airlock activity, but the yeast were busy, a hydrometer reading every other day will let you know. Plus any krausen (foam) on top is a sure indicator of fermentation. And opening the bucket, or taking out the airlock to look is not going to hurt anything.
Thank you. So many new brewers seem terrified to do this because somewhere along the way they were informed it was taboo. As long as sanitary measures are maintained there should be no problem.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
CBXBob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thank you. So many new brewers seem terrified to do this because somewhere along the way they were informed it was taboo. As long as sanitary measures are maintained there should be no problem.
I am but a humble student of the masters here on HBT. I seriously believe the accumulated knowledge here is, if used, equal to a Masters Degree in Brewing. I'm definitely a freshman, but eager as hell to learn. And totally appreciate my teachers.
Dan Likes This 
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXBob

It's not going to hurt anything to open it but a flashlight on top of the bucket will let you see if there is any krausen clinging on the side of the bucket
CBXBob Likes This 
Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #16
panfishrfun
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Thanks for the ideas, I will definitely use them in the future to see what's goin on in there! I took a hydrometer reading after work today, and it was barely slightly lower than the OG. I couldnt let it go, so I just checked the airlock, and there are bubbles, so I guess my seal is good, and the yeastiest are taking off! That's a load off my mind.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
CaptnCully
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Starter 2 Days ago and brewed yesterday? You may have not let your starter really START. I usually make my starters a good 48 hours b4 pitching unless you have a stir plate and then it's a GOOD 24 hrs

Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Darkness
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Also if you want the fermentation to rock in 6 hours OXYGENATE!!!! Starter (I love them) put more yeast cells in but if you give them oxygen the work there little ass's off for you. O2 in a torch setup is the same that granny is breathing in her chair. So if you can get your hands on one of those sweet. Oh and don't worry about regulater I just spray sanitizer on the valve and hold hose to it drop hose in wort and crack valve barely open. 15sec of that and pow HAPPY YEAST!

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
panfishrfun
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

I guess I need to make my next starter earlier! Well live and learn, I'm just glad everything turned out ok, and now I know.

Can you use a little aerator from a fish tank? If so, would it be hard to sanitize the air-stone, or would you just leave that off and just have the air coming out of the tube? And just to be straight, is this in the starter or the fermenter?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Darkness
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Never used a fish tank unit but have seen some on uTube. You get a pure'r oxygen from a tank an it don't take very long.

You Stay Classy Brew Nation!!

"He who dies with the most beer didn't drink enough!!"
(that's from me)