Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Olden Days Beer?

Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
rodwha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Default Olden Days Beer?

I had read, many moons ago, how in the olden days somewhere there was problem with the water source and they made ~2.5% beer. Is this right? Can anyone steer me in the direction to learn a bit more?
I'm a bit curious about that and would like to brew a tiny batch just to see what it was like.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1036 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 2754

A lot of Europeans did this in the past. German children would drink 2%(ish) beers with breakfast in many families...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I've brewed a 2.8% beer. was a Kolsch I had horrible efficiency with. Just tasted weak to me. Decent for a really hot day. That's about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
yodalegomaster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Session beers are great

I am making lot's of session beers, Like a Mild split into 5 batches. or a light blond with fruit extract, nothing over 3.0. from a ten gallon batch to 25 gallons of session beer. I just did one with a huge difference in hops that took some fooling with, but it works. I made 10 gallons of Kolsch and 15 gallons of pale\IPA all out of the same brew day. All session beers!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I really like session beer as well. I brewed two dark english milds as a learning exercise and since then I have decided I will be brewing many different types of milds if I can help it. Most recipes I have looked at appear to be english malty types. There's definitely a challenge worth checking out in trying to make a beer tasty but low ABV.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Check out the history of saison/farmhouse ales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saison
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3017 Times on 2603 Posts
Likes Given: 2135

You could also search for small beers. That's what they were called in colonial times. A common table beer that was drunk during the day by all,including children. It was safer than the water to them,being Europeans. It was made from the second runnings of the mashed grains.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I had read, many moons ago, how in the olden days somewhere there was problem with the water source and they made ~2.5% beer. Is this right? Can anyone steer me in the direction to learn a bit more?
I'm a bit curious about that and would like to brew a tiny batch just to see what it was like.
Yep, it was commonplace back in the middle ages, and even earlier to make a low ABV "table beer" with the poor quality water. These were different from the typical drinking ales of the time (gruit type ales in the middle ages) and were served as thirst quenchers, in leu of the unsafe water.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I'm interested in making a very small batch to try just to see what it was like.
"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 301 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
I'm interested in making a very small batch to try just to see what it was like.
Oh that's easy. Just go buy a six-pack of Bud Light, mix it with 30% toilet water to dilute it down and give it an Earthy, gritty taste, let it sit in the sun for a few months, serve warm.

Bam, Medieval Table Beer.

drinking12many Likes This