Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > bottle conditioning in fermenter

Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
storytyme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default bottle conditioning in fermenter

Hello everyone. I am a born again home brewer. I brewed a couple times in college with horrible results and now that I am a bit older and maybe wiser I can see how I screwed it up before. I have yet to start my first batch which will be an Imperial IPA because I am doing all my homework first on technique, equipment, set-up etc. I want things to be in place before I attempt this again. I have read and watched more about home brewing in the last week or so than I could ever imagine. As I read more and more things come up that I was unaware of. With that said here is my actual situation and question.

I will be doing everything outdoors and in my garage (including bottle conditioning). I will have a large (14 cubic ft +) chest freezer as my fermenter "closet". I read Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning and learned a lot. 3 at 70 is stuck in my mind forever. I envision doing a single batch and letting it do its thing and then bottling it. I will then bump my thermo control in my fermentor closet to 70 degrees and put the newly bottled beers in there for a week (at least). Then lets say that I brew another batch of beer and put my carboy in the fermentation "closet" and bump it down to a good fermenting temp of around 62 degrees. I will still keep my bottles in there, but the temp will be obviously lower. I know it may take longer for them to be ready, but I feel the minimal one week at 70 will be a good start to get things "going" (in reality they will probably be in there for longer than a week at 70). Is this a sound strategy? Am I missing something here? Any and all feedback is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
TyTanium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

62 is no problem.