Thomas's Very Orange Mead (TVOM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
Thomas’s Very Orange Mead
3 pounds honey
2 quarts good orange juice (I used pulp free)
½ packet Lalvin 71-B
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Water to 1 gallon

Heat honey until liquid, add the cold (ish) orange juice, and stir to combine. Pitch yeast and nutrients with a little OJ and warm water into carboy. Follow with the honey/OJ mix and top with water, leaving two inches at the top.

OG on 5-8-12 is 1.115

Make sure to shake it every day or so to degass the must for the first 4-5 days.

Added 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient after 1 week
5 days later added the last 1/4th tsp of nutrient

After 4 weeks racked to secondary, added 2 vanilla beans (broken), 1 tablespoon of Orange zest, and topped with more orange juice.

After about 2 more weeks I racked it off of the the fruit pulp and yeast through a filter.

Bottle when clear. I got about 2 1/4 liters out of this recipe.

FG was 1.020--it got stuck, and since it was really close to what I wanted, I just left it.
Tastes like orange juice, surprisingly enough :D, with some vanilla.
It's still slightly hot right now, but aughta be awesome if I can manage to save a bottle for my buddies B-day next year :mug:

that sounds good, I will have to try that except I'll add a clove and some cinnamon sticks plus golden raisins.

Latest posts

Back