Determining ABV? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Determining ABV?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #1
Mathblasta
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Stillwater, MN
Posts: 10


Hello, first post!

I recently made my first batch of brew not from a kit. It has made me wonder - How exactly does one determine approximate ABV from a homebrew? I took a starting gravity reading from my wort, but I don't know how to translate it into actual ABV. Is there an equation, or are the two not related enough to be relevant? If not, then how DO I get ABV?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
UTPhish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
UTPhish's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 181
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Og - fg * 131 = abv

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,504
Liked 3475 Times on 2479 Posts


(Og-Fg)*131 is what I usually see. But as far as I know, that's an approximation that doesn't scale too well for higher gravity beers.

If you have starting gravity, but not final gravity, not much you can do.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Mathblasta
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Stillwater, MN
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPhish View Post
Og - fg * 131 = abv
Cool. Any idea what the reasoning behind that equation is? Like, why 131?

Also, reeeeally stupid question, but my fg is taken before I start bottle conditioning, or after I've got a ready to go beer?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
kh54s10's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Posts: 11,392
Liked 1795 Times on 1470 Posts


ABV calculators. You will need OG and FG. I Googled and found a couple. They seem to give slightly different values so when I use them I do several and average them.

Here is one:http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #6

Welcome, Math. To determine your abv, you compare your original gravity to your final gravity - the gravity before fermentation and after fermentation. This tells you how much wort sugar was fermented, with alcohol being one of the byproducts.

I use brewing software, plug in starting and finishing gravity and if tells you the abv. You could also calculate it by hand, but I don't know the formula.

Edit: what they said ^^^^

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Arlington (DC), VA
Posts: 13,504
Liked 3475 Times on 2479 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathblasta View Post
Cool. Any idea what the reasoning behind that equation is? Like, why 131?
Like most constants in most equations, I just chalk it up to an amount figured out by someone who had a lot more patience to do a lot more research than I care to do.

Quote:
Also, reeeeally stupid question, but my fg is taken before I start bottle conditioning, or after I've got a ready to go beer?
Before you start bottle conditioning.
__________________
Souring: '14 Brett C Old Ale, '15 Lambic, '14 Lambic, '14 Flemish Red, '15 Flemish Pale, '15 Oud Bruin, '15 Session Kriek
Cellar: '10 Brett B Tripel, '11 Lambic, '13 Brett C English Barleywine, '13 Quadrupel, '13 Sour Stout, '14 Brett C Bitter, '14 Spontaneously Fermented Cider, '15 Wee Heavy, '15 100% Brett B Red, '15 100% Brett L Kriek, '15 Bière de Garde

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,578
Liked 7026 Times on 4160 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathblasta View Post
Hello, first post!

I recently made my first batch of brew not from a kit. It has made me wonder - How exactly does one determine approximate ABV from a homebrew? I took a starting gravity reading from my wort, but I don't know how to translate it into actual ABV. Is there an equation, or are the two not related enough to be relevant? If not, then how DO I get ABV?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
If you assume attenuation is about 76%, which is generally a very good guess, then your ABV will be the same the OG (sorta). I.e., if the OG was 1.055 then ABV will be 5.5%. Works out exact if you just use gravity points (i.e., OG = 55)

If anyone wonders why, use the following two equations to solve for ABV (i.e., substitute or algabraic subtraction):
ABV = (OG-FG)*131
FG = (1-.76)*OG
__________________
- Andrew

Pappers_ Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #9
Mathblasta
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Stillwater, MN
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Like most constants in most equations, I just chalk it up to an amount figured out by someone who had a lot more patience to do a lot more research than I care to do.

Also, reeeeally stupid question, but my fg is taken before I start bottle conditioning, or after I've got a ready to go beer?
Before you start bottle conditioning.[/QUOTE]

lol good enough reasoning for me!

As far as grav testing during the fermentation, how do I avoid oxygen/other stuff contamination?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
If you assume attenuation is about 76%, which is generally a very good guess, then your ABV will be the same the OG (sorta). I.e., if the OG was 1.055 then ABV will be 5.5%. Works out exact if you just use gravity points (i.e., OG = 55)

If anyone wonders why, use the following two equations to solve for ABV (i.e., substitute or algabraic subtraction):
ABV = (OG-FG)*131
FG = (1-.76)*OG
Very cool, I had no idea.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help determining if fermentation is done with pics! al0311 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 04-23-2012 01:26 AM
Noob question, determining FG from an experiment. CS223 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-03-2012 07:18 PM
Determining temperature inside kegerator kyle6286 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-04-2011 07:36 PM
determining ABV mot Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 06-29-2009 09:41 PM
Determining FG Kramman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-13-2008 03:43 PM


Forum Jump