Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Freeze-Dried Fruit

Old 07-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
digitalhifi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Freeze-Dried Fruit

I'm currently fermenting a Russian River Supplication Clone, and am ready to transfer my primary over into secondary and pitch my Brett cultures. I also need to add the sour cherries at this point. Because I wasn't able to find dried sour cherries without oil or preservatives as Vinny does, I will be using freeze-dried sour cherries. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used freeze-dried fruit in a beer before. I'm wondering if I should add any water to it to simulate dried fruit, and also if I should freeze it. Apparently the freeze-drieing process does not always break the cell walls. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but its my understanding that the freezing of the fruit isn't really that important when using Brett, because it has the necessary enzymes to break the cell walls itself.

Anybody have any insight before I through a buttload of cherries and let it sit for a few months?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
digitalhifi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went ahead and added the freeze-dried cherries. The Brett started eating away and I had to put on a blow off tube. It looks like I made the right choice.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
chutracheese
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm looking into this exactly right now. Trying to find some cherries for a few sours.
How did this turn out? Do you recommend? Where did you get them? That kinda stuff...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think they will be cool..You can also add some tart cherry juice concentrate..it will flavor and 2oz is 30g sugar so you will also boost alcohol..get a pint and add 10 oz

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Gus_13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutracheese View Post
I'm looking into this exactly right now. Trying to find some cherries for a few sours.
How did this turn out? Do you recommend? Where did you get them? That kinda stuff...
I second this. I'll also add, do you have to sanitize the cherries/fruit before putting them in there?

Milking the Funk

www.thefarmhouseobsession.com

Untappd: Gus_13
Twitter: @aaddkison

Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
chutracheese
Recipes 

No to sanitizing. I don't think so. Not sure if anything would survive being freeze dried.
I think folks look for yeast on fresh fruit to help add complexity and even restart a 2nd fermentation after the fruit is added.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalhifi View Post
I'm currently fermenting a Russian River Supplication Clone, and am ready to transfer my primary over into secondary and pitch my Brett cultures. I also need to add the sour cherries at this point. Because I wasn't able to find dried sour cherries without oil or preservatives as Vinny does, I will be using freeze-dried sour cherries. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used freeze-dried fruit in a beer before. I'm wondering if I should add any water to it to simulate dried fruit, and also if I should freeze it. Apparently the freeze-drieing process does not always break the cell walls. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but its my understanding that the freezing of the fruit isn't really that important when using Brett, because it has the necessary enzymes to break the cell walls itself.

Anybody have any insight before I through a buttload of cherries and let it sit for a few months?
Here is a link where to buy plain old dry cherries without oils etc.. pretty expensive but when are cherries not expensive?

http://northstarorganics.com/dried-t...erries-10-lbs/

Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
chutracheese
Recipes 

The problem with those is they have added sugar.
This seems a better deal, although they are Balaton rather than Montmorency.
http://kingorchards.com/store.htm?ca...ton%20Cherries

Here is some more info on Balaton cherries:
http://www.michiganbalatoncherries.com/index.htm