Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Mead > Blueberry Mead

Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #131
HowlerMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Here's an update on my melomel.

2-17-2013 Made mash of 14 pounds of honey, 10 pounds of blueberries, and 2.5 gallons of water in a primary bucket.

2-18-2013 Pitched yeast. Measured OG at 1.120 (but I'm now suspicious that it might not have been mixed well, so that might be low).

2-28-2013 Punched down and stirred to degas every day so far, but realized on this day that I was not being aggressive enough stirring with my spoon, and there was still a lot of gas. I now understand why people use the lees stirrer with a drill.

3-02-2013 SG down to 1.015. Put 1 pound of honey in 5-gallon carboy, skimmed most of the blueberries out of the bucket, and then racked melomel into carboy (swirled it a bit to mix the honey). I had about 3.5 gallons of liquid in the carboy. Filled up the rest of the volume with a mixture of water and Everclear with a ratio of 6 to 1 to make a 14% alcohol liquid. Mixed with my racking cane and retested SG at 1.014. Tested sample, and it was slightly fruity (but not specifically blueberry) followed by a wine flavor. Warm in my stomach. Not particularly appetizing.

4-06-2013 SG down to 1.000. Sample tasted very dry, hot alcohol with a very slight fruit flavor. More like fruit skin rather than juice. Still not pleasing. Added one pound of honey to my primary bucket. Racked the melomel to the bucket and stirred with my spoon to mix the honey. SG tested as 1.009. Cleaned and sanitized carboy. Racked back to carboy.

I don't see any activity in the carboy yet. I'll check it the next couple of days to see if it starts again, but I estimate that this melomel is already at about 16% alcohol, so I would imagine that it could crap out at any time.

I'm disappointed with the lack of blueberry flavor. I think I'm going to follow what flyweed and Opus recommend and add some blueberry flavoring to it.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #132
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerMonkey View Post
Here's an update on my melomel.

2-17-2013 Made mash of 14 pounds of honey, 10 pounds of blueberries, and 2.5 gallons of water in a primary bucket.

2-18-2013 Pitched yeast. Measured OG at 1.120 (but I'm now suspicious that it might not have been mixed well, so that might be low).

2-28-2013 Punched down and stirred to degas every day so far, but realized on this day that I was not being aggressive enough stirring with my spoon, and there was still a lot of gas. I now understand why people use the lees stirrer with a drill.

3-02-2013 SG down to 1.015. Put 1 pound of honey in 5-gallon carboy, skimmed most of the blueberries out of the bucket, and then racked melomel into carboy (swirled it a bit to mix the honey). I had about 3.5 gallons of liquid in the carboy. Filled up the rest of the volume with a mixture of water and Everclear with a ratio of 6 to 1 to make a 14% alcohol liquid. Mixed with my racking cane and retested SG at 1.014. Tested sample, and it was slightly fruity (but not specifically blueberry) followed by a wine flavor. Warm in my stomach. Not particularly appetizing.

4-06-2013 SG down to 1.000. Sample tasted very dry, hot alcohol with a very slight fruit flavor. More like fruit skin rather than juice. Still not pleasing. Added one pound of honey to my primary bucket. Racked the melomel to the bucket and stirred with my spoon to mix the honey. SG tested as 1.009. Cleaned and sanitized carboy. Racked back to carboy.

I don't see any activity in the carboy yet. I'll check it the next couple of days to see if it starts again, but I estimate that this melomel is already at about 16% alcohol, so I would imagine that it could crap out at any time.

I'm disappointed with the lack of blueberry flavor. I think I'm going to follow what flyweed and Opus recommend and add some blueberry flavoring to it.
I used something like this

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...roducts_id=482
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #133
tommyg595
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How many gal recipe is this. How would I make it a one or 2 gal recipe.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #134
Booyacht
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love blueberries! Started this last week. Here are my notes so far. I plan on racking on to 1 lb honey and 3 lb pureed blueberries next week. One question, now that the lid is on should I open the lid daily to push the blueberries down? I'm just curious of the danger of leaving the blueberries floating on top once I'm past the point of aerating.

Notes:

5-23-13 Blueberry Melomel started at 3pm. Put 6 lb frozen then thawed berries in ferm bucket. Crushed them then added 15 lb raw clover honey and 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulphite. Spring water to 5.5 gallons and mixed with drill. Added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme and step fed 1.5 tsp energizer and 3 tsp nutrient. Sat lid on top and put away for 24 hours.

5-24-13 pitched yeast (3 packets of D47) on 70 degree must. Rehydrated yeast in spring water and a couple ounces of must after 15 min. Put fermenter in 65 degree ferm room. Original Gravity is 1125 Aerated for a few minutes with drill and put a towel on top.

5-25-13 not much activity. Stirred with a drill. Is 1120.

5-26-13 aerated and stirred, gravity is 1110. Bubbling now.

5-28-13 Stirred, then checked SG which was 1060 so I put the lid and airlock on.

Thanks! Will

Old 06-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #135
opus345

Recipes 

Booyacht,

I'm on my second batch and I did not have a lid on the whole time during the primary. You do want to punch down the berries and mix during primary (10-12 days).
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #136
opus345

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg595 View Post
How many gal recipe is this. How would I make it a one or 2 gal recipe.
Tommy,

On the first page of this thread is the batch size (5 Gal).

To do a two gal batch, you would need to multiply all the quantities by .40 (40% or 2/5).
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #137
Booyacht
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Opus! Here is my update from last night:

6-5-13 racked into 5 gallon carboy secondary on top of 3 lb puréed blueberries and 1 lb clover honey. SG was 1000 at racking. Tasted very hot and was fruity (and good) but not a discernible blueberry flavor. Planning to let it sit in secondary for 2 months on top of all that new blueberry juice. My calculations say its around 16% alcohol.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #138
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 31

So i have a question about this.

I am doing a 1 gallon batch so i just divided everything by 5. This puts my starting 13# of honey at 2# 10oz, berries at 1# etc, etc.

Before i added my blueberries while i was waiting for them to thaw, i tested my honey/water mixture and it only came out with a Refractometer reading of 17 Brix, which puts it at around 1.070? Granted thats before the blueberries and before i stagger add more honey over the coming months, but does that sound right or too low? I mean thats half of the listed OG...i dont understand how i can be that far off though.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #139
bigelowsbest
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you still have a bunch of honey to add at subsequent rankings, then yes you should be fine. Your 42oz of honey is pretty close to the 48oz/gallon that is typical for mead, so factor in your fermentables contributed by the blueberries and you should be right on target.
I made this stuff about two months ago and the first week of fermentation was downright volcanic

Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #140
FuzzeWuzze
DIY King
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'll have to go looking around for info on the factoring in for the blueberries.

Ive found my fermentation to be pretty tame though, there doesnt appear to be a huge krausen or anything. Maybe its because im keeping it in my chamber @ 64F?