50A Kill-a-Watt? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 50A Kill-a-Watt?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
emjay
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Does anybody know of a similar product (or implementable method) for measuring total kWh used over the course of a brew session, on a 50A/220V system? I need a way to accurately measure the cost of my brew sessions.

Mathematically estimating it isn't sufficient for me because of uncertainty due to cycling (especially during the mash where it can't just be set to a certain percentage), among other reasons. You may disagree, but regardless, that's not what I'm looking for.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Allentown, PA
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

what about running it thru an actual power meter, kinda like that one on the houses main power inlet. Kinda like this

http://mollelec.en.alibaba.com/produ...KWH_METER.html

Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
jxm2119
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Rochester, NY
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://myworld.ebay.com/kwhmeters*co...id=p4340.l2559

Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Mahopac, NY
Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts

Just shut off everything in your house. Read the meter before and after the brew. Pretty simple and free.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Pace, FL
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts

Shut off (and unplug) right?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
pb4ugoout
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Columbia, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Shut off (and unplug) right?
The only items you would have to consider would be the A/C in the house and the fridge. Residual power consumption from "phantom" power sources would most likely not amount to much more than a penny or two over the course of a brewing session.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
philber

Recipes 

Feb 2012
stamford, ct
Liked 53 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Does anybody know of a similar product (or implementable method) for measuring total kWh used over the course of a brew session, on a 50A/220V system? I need a way to accurately measure the cost of my brew sessions.

Mathematically estimating it isn't sufficient for me because of uncertainty due to cycling (especially during the mash where it can't just be set to a certain percentage), among other reasons. You may disagree, but regardless, that's not what I'm looking for.
Check your local library, I borrowed one from there a few months back and was amazed to find out the fridge that was making a lot of noise starting up, was actually costing my $50 a month due to high current draw.

Fermenting: Air
Kegged: Czeck Pils Lager, Bohemian Pilsner Ale

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6697 Times on 3960 Posts

You could probably use 2 killawatts, one on each leg of the 240VAC. You'd have to wire up an inline box with a couple of plugs in it, but I think it would work. I might give it a test myself. I've got a killawatt (Home Depot sells them for about $20).

You could just measure 1 leg and double the Amps you read, but if you have any 120V devices you'll measure wrong.

I"m assuming you are talking about a 240V split phase power (U.S.) and not the single phase 220V used in Europe.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
wrench
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Berlin, MA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4ugoout View Post
The only items you would have to consider would be the A/C in the house and the fridge. Residual power consumption from "phantom" power sources would most likely not amount to much more than a penny or two over the course of a brewing session.
You're forgetting about electric water heater, pump (if on well water) and whatnot. I also disagree about phantom power being trivial. Even with everything off, my entertainment center (plasma tv, cable box, AV receiver, BluRay, sub) draws about half an amp. If the OP wouldn't be satisfied with calculated estimates, then these other variables would likely also be a problem.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
sasky7777

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

10 charac