wanting to get away from kits - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > wanting to get away from kits

Old 07-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Jun 2012

I want to start getting away from kits and possibly start making my own recipes any suggestions where to start

Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Liked 297 Times on 244 Posts

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels for ingredients and BeerSmith for amounts and record keeping. Go BIAB - AG.
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
Fermenting: Malahini Pale Ale
Bottled in the refe: Black IPA
Bottled in the refe: Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Bottled in the refer Oktoberfest

Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Aug 2010
Emporia, KS
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

+1 on beersmith and designing great beers. Could have sworn I commented on this exact same thread earlier...

Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Beersmith is the best $20 I have spent on my brewing hobby.
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Mar 2009
Oakland, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with Designing Great Beers, and I use Beer Alchemy on the mac, not Beersmith. If you are into Belgians, Brew Like a Monk can be a source of recipe inspiration as well.

This works well for brewing more traditional styles. You can also take a recipe (from a book, from here, where ever), and tweak one thing, see how it works out. I've made a few recipes by taking the malt bill from one and the hop schedule from another, or subbing out one specialty malt for another.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Oct 2011
Rancho Cordova, CA
Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts

Brewing classic styles has a lot of great recipes that I use as a starting point for a number of my brews.
"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Jun 2007
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I started trying recipes I found on the internet. I also like Hopville, it allows you to tinker with your ingredients, and get some feedback on strength and balance. No need to reinvent the wheel. Just like your kit selection, decide what type of beer you would like to have five gallons of, find a recipe, and get the ingredients.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Nov 2011
Tucson, AZ
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

When I started to get away from kits I decided that I wanted to learn about flavors of grains, first. I started with a basic 3 lbs light DME, 4 lbs 2row and added 13 oz of some random specialty grain. Use whatever hops you want to a low(ish) IBU (BeerSmith is great for calculating this) and add a packet of US05. It's great to use this technique to get familiar with ingredients as well as whatever recipe tool you use.

And I really shouldn't talk like this is something I did years ago. I've only done 5 batches (two kits and the rest with the above formulation) but I'm amazed at the sheer flavor that comes from such a simple recipe formulation.
Brewer's Dilemma: A watched pot never boils; an unwatched pot boils over.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
May 2012
, Alabama
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

For me it was taking recipes comparing them and making adjustments. What is it that makes black douglass so different then guiness? The Grain difference between an IPA and IIPA and how to i have to adjust hops to maintain the same IBUs and flavor profile? Using different recipes you will end up purchasing different grain/hops and you can start to understand the flavors. If you save spice jars you can put a small amount of grain or hops into them and store them for reference later. It gives me something to touch taste and feel instead of words in a book. I love beer.