Harvesting Dry Yeast? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Harvesting Dry Yeast?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
ProfessorBrew
Recipes 

May 2012
Wheeling, WV

Has anyone ever tried harvesting from a batch fermented with dry yeast? I just ordered ingredients for my first all-grain batch, and in the summer heat I didn't want to mess with liquid yeast via the mail. But I've been interested in harvesting and washing my own yeast. It is worth it to try a "dry run" (pardon the pun) with this batch?

Thanks!
Tap #1: Dirty Blonde Ale, Tap #2: On Sale Pale Ale,
Tap #3: Audible IPA
Primaries: #1 Midnight Molasses Porter, #2 Kitchen Sink DIPA, #3 Hellish Hefe Hell
Secondaries: #1 Nocturnal Brown Ale, #2 Drunken Irishman Ale

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Hayward, California
Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts

Yes you can. In fact tomorrow will be my first attempt at washing safale 05

Old 07-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
dslater
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Boston, MA
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've done it. As far as I know there's no reason not to. As I understand it, conventional wisdom states that dry yeast is so cheap it's not worth harvesting. (The same is said for making a starter with dry yeast). OTH when has a home brewer ever listened to conventional wisdom???

Old 07-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Central MN
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts

I harvest US-05 all the time. I feel that the 2nd & 3rd gen make the best beer.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
onthekeg
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Its not dry yeast after you pitch it. After 3 generations, S04, provided you aren't contaminated at all, it becomes quite the formidable yeast. I prefer that of the yeast choices if I am using a dry yeast.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
ProfessorBrew
Recipes 

May 2012
Wheeling, WV

I'm brewing this batch with Nottingham, per Northern Brewer's recommendation.
Tap #1: Dirty Blonde Ale, Tap #2: On Sale Pale Ale,
Tap #3: Audible IPA
Primaries: #1 Midnight Molasses Porter, #2 Kitchen Sink DIPA, #3 Hellish Hefe Hell
Secondaries: #1 Nocturnal Brown Ale, #2 Drunken Irishman Ale

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
onthekeg
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorBrew View Post
I'm brewing this batch with Nottingham, per Northern Brewer's recommendation.
Notty gets better for many generations as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
tjpfeister

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Green Bay, WI
Liked 74 Times on 57 Posts

Yeah, I dunno why everyone always looks at me strange when I say that I wash my S-05... The damn packets are like $5 now, and I currently have 10g of a Fixed Gear clone that is on its downward fermentation slope.... after only 23 hours! I don't even bother with "starters" anymore. Washed yeast cakes do the trick for most average gravity stuff.... (My average gravity is around 1.065, btw.) Anywho, I can split a washed cake two or three ways, and each split gets used three or four generations. Basically, I make a year's worth of beer with $5 worth of yeast and don't waste my time and money on starters anymore... Lolcats! Why wouldn't you harvest/wash the stuff?

MannyEdwards Likes This 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
cyclonite
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfeister View Post
Yeah, I dunno why everyone always looks at me strange when I say that I wash my S-05... The damn packets are like $5 now, and I currently have 10g of a Fixed Gear clone that is on its downward fermentation slope.... after only 23 hours! I don't even bother with "starters" anymore. Washed yeast cakes do the trick for most average gravity stuff.... (My average gravity is around 1.065, btw.) Anywho, I can split a washed cake two or three ways, and each split gets used three or four generations. Basically, I make a year's worth of beer with $5 worth of yeast and don't waste my time and money on starters anymore... Lolcats! Why wouldn't you harvest/wash the stuff?
Agreed, I harvest every yeast I use, and usually have something going with US-05 so I just repitch slurry. If I need a yeast I have washed but not in active fermentation, I just siphon off enough wort from my current batch for a starter, dilute it, and pitch the washed yeast into the starter for the next brew session. Makes yeast essentially free after the first purchase of a strain. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've purchased yeast in over a year
Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"

Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Liked 1804 Times on 1478 Posts

I am going to brew a Saison using Safale T-58. When it is done I am going to wash, take some to freeze and reuse the washed yeast. I will make 4 vials to freeze.

Now I have to decide what to brew for the second batch.