Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Sweet Potato Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucke

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1968 London ESB
Yeast Starter
Yes.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 69
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
Moderate sweet potato flavor comes through.
9# Maris Otter
.75# Honey Malt
.25# Biscuit Malt
.25# Acid Malt (to water condition)
6# Roasted Sweet Potato mash, burnt crunchies and all
.5 oz. Magnum hops
1/2 tsp calcium chloride in mash (to condition water)
Efficiency = 82%
mash @ 154 for 60 mins

The 6 pounds of sweet potatoes were in a large can... the ghost of Thanksgiving Past. I put them into two pans and baked until the top was almost burnt.

Moderate sweet potato flavor comes through. Honey and biscuit malts accentuate sweet potato flavor, as does 1968 yeast fermented at 70. Magnum hops were used for clean bittering. No flavor or aroma hops were added so as not to distract from the sweet potato.

We don't add spices to our sweet potato pies, so none were added to this recipe.

I made one for thanksgiving last year and it was a big hit. I can't remember how many lbs. of sweet potatoes I used, but I'll probably use 6 like you did when I make it this year.

Just came across this recipe, and it sounds like something I would like to try. For the mash, did you make a potato puree and add it to the mash? or use some other method?

Just came across this recipe, and it sounds like something I would like to try. For the mash, did you make a potato puree and add it to the mash? or use some other method?

The sweet potatoes were pureed and canned. I put them into a casserole dish and baked it... I don't remember how long. I then put it all, scrapping the burnt crunchies, into the mash.

Back