Lawn mower beer help - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Lawn mower beer help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
isurf
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Galveston Texas
Posts: 177
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Kolsch, can't go wrong.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,225
Liked 7720 Times on 5423 Posts


I have two basic lawnmower beers- a cream ale (with flaked maize and not rice) and a beer I call Fizzy Yellow Beer. Both are really good and seem to go over very well with everybody- craft brew lovers and BMC lovers alike.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
chuckstout
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
, Wa
Posts: 896
Liked 219 Times on 146 Posts


I vote cream ale just made this well liked
Crystal Cream
5 lbs Pilsner
.5lbs vienna
.5lbs Flaked Maize
.5lbs Corn Suger
.25lbs Carapils
80% eff. Mash 149
.5oz American Northern Brewer 60
1oz Crystal 5min
WLP060/starter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
BLUEGOOSE
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Greenville, WI
Posts: 8


Just made Northern Brewer Speckled Hiefer and tasted the first one....very good lawn mower beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Orem, UT
Posts: 962
Liked 83 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I would not use rice. In fact, I've made that Co3C twice, and my brother made it once, and I didn't like it any of those times. I know I'm in the minority there. But it is what it is.

Regarding rice, if you do attempt a recipe with it, you should get minute rice from the store. That rice is already gelatinized so it's ready for mashing.
Would you care to be specific about why you do not like rice?

Gelatinizing it is easy: just cook it with too much water before mashing.

Minute Rice has no appreciable flavor, but if you're willing to spend an hour - even a few days ahead - on the cereal mash, I've found that brown basmati can be pleasant.

fwiw i have never brewed co3c, or any brew with maize.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Kmcogar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 1,088
Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I have two basic lawnmower beers- a cream ale (with flaked maize and not rice) and a beer I call Fizzy Yellow Beer. Both are really good and seem to go over very well with everybody- craft brew lovers and BMC lovers alike.
I might have to grab that recipe.

Is there a problem with adding aroma hops at flameout to this beer? I feel like BMC beers have no smell, well not a very good one. And I would like to have some
__________________
Ęgir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ęgir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,861
Liked 6697 Times on 3960 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
Would you care to be specific about why you do not like rice?

Gelatinizing it is easy: just cook it with too much water before mashing.

Minute Rice has no appreciable flavor, but if you're willing to spend an hour - even a few days ahead - on the cereal mash, I've found that brown basmati can be pleasant.

fwiw i have never brewed co3c, or any brew with maize.
I get a banana-y saki flavor when I use rice. I can taste the corn when I use that too. I wish it wasn't so, because I want to perfect a light lager.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Orem, UT
Posts: 962
Liked 83 Times on 74 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I get a banana-y saki flavor when I use rice. I can taste the corn when I use that too. I wish it wasn't so, because I want to perfect a light lager.
I can see how that would be objectionable.

I don't recall that flavor from my brown ale made with 15% brown basmati.

I have a 30% brown basmati kolsch lagering right now, and plan to start drinking it in a few days.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fruit beer experiment: Adding strawberries to chilled beer to avoid dryness bigbeergeek Recipes/Ingredients 22 06-11-2016 01:20 AM
Beer historians: recipe for typical beer in Cleveland, circa 1930? MalFet Recipes/Ingredients 17 01-09-2013 11:27 PM
Good "lawn mower ale" recipe? wittmania Recipes/Ingredients 55 04-23-2012 08:07 PM
Small Table Beer - Similar to Bells Third World Beer chapa Recipes/Ingredients 19 06-06-2011 07:33 PM
A Belgian lawn mower. Please critique? SnickASaurusRex Recipes/Ingredients 16 05-08-2009 06:03 PM


Forum Jump