Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Souring in a corny

Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Otiluke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Souring in a corny

According to this article http://www.byo.com/stories/technique...ing-techniques. You need a container to hold your mash while it's souring. I thought that if I gasses the corny and dumped the mash in then I could make sure that there is no air inside. Attach a couple of brew belts to try and maintain temps. Any ideas on this?

Old 07-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

eff all that...just brew a batch, cool to about 100 or so and pitch a built up starter of dregs from one of your favorite commerical sours...way less complicated.

Of course, I've also used the homemade lacto starter method...but combined a cup of crushed grain and 100 degree sanitized water in a mason jar and kept at high temps (80-100) for about 1.5 weeks...then pitched into a 3 gallon batch...let that get nice and sour for about 8 months, then blended back with 3 gallons of a 2 month old version of the same beer.

never used sour mashing though...

Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
bradjoiner
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

easier just to cover your mash tun with a white garbage bag and push out the air a very small amount of acetobacter isn't going to hurt. you obviously could use the cornys it will take a few and make sure you disassemble them and clean them like crazy before you put any new beer in them

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I did a Berliner in a carboy with a ferm wrap set and a temp controller to 100F for 48 hours. It worked great and I didn't have to worry about my mash tun holding temp. I am doing a Lacto fermentation in a corny now. Cleaning the corny will be a pain, but I wanted to do the Lacto fermentation for seven days and keep the O2 out.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Otiluke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I should have been more clear in my post. I was thinking of using the corny to hold the sour mash. After a couple of days empty, drain, and add to the boil kettle. So the corny will only hold a few pounds of mash. I just don't think i have a better container to hold it.