Jug of Mead that's been sitting a while... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Jug of Mead that's been sitting a while...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
kramer
Recipes 

Jul 2011
big bear lake, ca
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Liked 1722 Times on 1153 Posts

Definitely drink! If you have a way to transfer to a glass container for longer aging that would be even better. At my last homebrew club meeting a guy shared some 6 year old peach mead that was 15% abv and very smooth from the aging.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

kramer Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Drink away. I seriously doubt there is anything harmful in there.. If it's been in a plastic container that isn't rated 1 (Like PET bottles) then you may have some oxidization which can affect taste... But I don't think you'll have a problem.

kramer Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
kramer
Recipes 

Jul 2011
big bear lake, ca
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay....took some sips. A little harsh. It's not really a mead, I forgot. It's a brown sugar alcohol.....what would that technically be? Has a fairly heavy taste that's very similar to a whiskey where the malt has been dried with peat. Really peaty tasting. Not sure that's a good thing in a beer.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2009
illinois
Liked 158 Times on 134 Posts

Hmmm - mole-asses wine? The one beer I added molasses to ended up bitter (not from hops), woody, unpleasant. Of course, brown sugar has molasses in it. It probably won't get any better than it is now.

kramer Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
amandabab
Recipes 

Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?
6 months is about the beggining of taste testing for mine.
might taste plasticy depending on the jug, most cider is in milk jugs and juice in PET, but there is nothing to be done about it now.

kramer Likes This 
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
kramer
Recipes 

Jul 2011
big bear lake, ca
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks guys. Yea, for sure molasses wine was not the best idea. I guess that's why it has been sitting for so long. To clarify, it's still in the fermenter. The jug was the fermenter. Thus, the yeast/trung is still on the bottom. I just poured a glass real carefully. Tastes like a REALLY peaty whiskey (like an Islay).....or maybe burning brakes

Packs a wallop though