Too much wort... Boil down to volume? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Too much wort... Boil down to volume?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
rs3902
Recipes 
 
May 2011
ocean city, md
Posts: 52
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts



After my sparge I've ended up with too much wort by about 2 gallons (lack of experience in all grain and some miscalculation)... Can I just boil it down to my desired boil volume? That would turn it on to a 2 hour boil time.. Is that doable or would that ruin something. Also, if I did do that, would I just start my normal "60 minute" boil schedule after the first hour?
Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JonM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Posts: 7,641
Liked 2647 Times on 1560 Posts


Yep, that's the way I do it. You'll be fine.
__________________
Who is this Rorschach guy? And why did he paint so many pictures of my parents fighting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
edmanster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Taylorsville, Utah
Posts: 1,726
Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts


and if you have a way to measure, or make a measure stick, you can find what your boil off rate is for future brews with this extended boil
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell
'how will i explain this to my kids' ... if i have to ask that, then i think my kids are in trouble ... just my 2 cents ... HAVE A BEER !!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
rs3902
Recipes 
 
May 2011
ocean city, md
Posts: 52
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Thanks a lot, good idea!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
bwomp313
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Kingston, NY
Posts: 1,185
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


With a few batches you'll start to get a feel for your system and know what you need. I don't even use calculators. Just kind of wing it and I'm usually where I want to be with volume and temperature. But I'm not really shooting for consistency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 976
Liked 103 Times on 79 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3902 View Post
After my sparge I've ended up with too much wort by about 2 gallons (lack of experience in all grain and some miscalculation)... Can I just boil it down to my desired boil volume? That would turn it on to a 2 hour boil time.. Is that doable or would that ruin something. Also, if I did do that, would I just start my normal "60 minute" boil schedule after the first hour?
Thanks!
It won't ruin anything, but you may end up with a higher SRM beer than you intended and a caramel/biscuity kind of taste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/kett...bility-123029/

Start your hop addition at the 60 min mark.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
With a few batches you'll start to get a feel for your system and know what you need. I don't even use calculators. Just kind of wing it and I'm usually where I want to be with volume and temperature. But I'm not really shooting for consistency.
I use all kinds of calculations, but mostly in my head and on the fly. I work off of a spreadsheet/brewing "software" (really, just a fancy spreadsheet some guy wrote 10 years ago that I've customized to my system)...but I monitor actual numbers as I go and make on-the-fly adjustments all the time.

I think I've found that my absorption is less than I've been expecting lately. I'm coming out slightly high on volume and slightly low on gravity. Boiloff is pretty much on though. Only other place to lose water is absorption.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,369
Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts


I usually FWH, but after I get all runnings in kettle and take gravity sample, that's when I decide how long I need to boil. I start the timer accordingly for flavor and aroma hops, but the bittering hops are already in there and generally come out pretty spot-on.
__________________
_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
bwomp313
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Kingston, NY
Posts: 1,185
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I usually FWH, but after I get all runnings in kettle and take gravity sample, that's when I decide how long I need to boil. I start the timer accordingly for flavor and aroma hops, but the bittering hops are already in there and generally come out pretty spot-on.
I also usually FWH and I'll take a refractometer sample and if it's lower than expected I'll do a 90 min boil, if it's higher or normal I'll do a 60.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Hockeyhunter99
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Fargo, ND
Posts: 599
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


i did this same thing the other day, BUT didn't know it until i chilled and put it into my fermentor. is there anything i can do now??? sugar?? DME??? it was NB Phat Tyre clone and i was over shooting my mash temps. put cold water into tun to hit temps and must have had 7 gallons rather than 6. suppose to have a 1.052 OG but undershot at 1.042 this was two days ago. any ideas??
__________________
Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump