Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > partigyle advice

Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
NorthSide
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default partigyle advice

i'm planning on trying a partigyle for the first time and i could use a little advice. the big beer will be an imperial stout and small will possibly be an american brown.
here's my recipe so far:
18 lb marris otter
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb black patent
1 lb crystal 120
1 lb flaked barley
.5 lb carapils

i mash in a 10 gallon cooler, and with 23 lbs of grain it's going to be tight. i plan on mashing for 90 minutes at 150.
i've seen a few high grav recipes that recommend a 90 min boil, not sure if this is necessary since i won't need to boil off a lot of excess cuz i'm going to use the 2nd runnings for another beer.
i am expecting to guess on a lot of the measurements, and just hope that i get enough for two 5 gallon batches.
anyone have any tips or advice when doing a partigyle? does this recipe look like it will work for a 5 gal imp stout and maybe a 4-5% abv brown ale?
thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
9/9
Collembola!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am going to bump this, because I would love to see some opinions. I am looking into my first partigyle and something like this looks like it would be great for me.
Drinking:MO-Amarillo SMaSH (14), BierMucher's Black Pearl Porter (13), Munich-NB SMaSH (16), Lemon Summer Blonde (18)
Planning: Belgian Brown (20)

Old 08-20-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1036 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 2754

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSide View Post
i'm planning on trying a partigyle for the first time and i could use a little advice. the big beer will be an imperial stout and small will possibly be an american brown.
here's my recipe so far:
18 lb marris otter
1 lb chocolate malt
1 lb roasted barley
.5 lb black patent
1 lb crystal 120
1 lb flaked barley
.5 lb carapils

i mash in a 10 gallon cooler, and with 23 lbs of grain it's going to be tight. i plan on mashing for 90 minutes at 150.
i've seen a few high grav recipes that recommend a 90 min boil, not sure if this is necessary since i won't need to boil off a lot of excess cuz i'm going to use the 2nd runnings for another beer.
i am expecting to guess on a lot of the measurements, and just hope that i get enough for two 5 gallon batches.
anyone have any tips or advice when doing a partigyle? does this recipe look like it will work for a 5 gal imp stout and maybe a 4-5% abv brown ale?
thanks
I think you hear about people doing 90 minute boils because they do a very thin, no sparge mash on the first run. Then they have to boil down to get to the proper volume and increase the OG. I'm guessing you could pull a second beer in the 3-4% range on your second runnings with this grain bill.. Just a guess, though..

Once I did this, and I wanted a bigger beer on the second run. I added a couple more lbs of base malt after the first run and did a second, short mash.