If only we could get rid of the big 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > If only we could get rid of the big 3

Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
usmc-ferg
Recipes 

Jun 2012

We are America's true brewers. I wish we could oust the big 3. You all rock. Let's keep making great beer! Here here!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
malweth

Recipes 

Nov 2010
Wakefield, RI
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Thank god for the big 3!

If they suddenly disappeared we'd have all these beer drinkers competing for what we drink... though I suppose as homebrewers we'd be more popular than ever!

Imagine not being able to *find* Sam Adams or SNPA on the shelves!
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12 Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Webster Groves, MO
Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts

A Budweiser to me has it's place just like an IPA. Nothing tastes better than a 32 deg Bud Draft in 95 deg heat at Busch Stadium as I'm watching the Cardinals on a Sunday afternoon.

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
logan3825
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 51 Times on 37 Posts

Who are the big 3? Inbev, SAB and Sam Adams?

spearko520 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
brobeman
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

And without their distribution networks we would all be limited to local or regional selections.

With crafts taking more and more marketshare I am more concerned with th big brewers continuing to buy out and dumb down some of the better mid sized brewers. Although, so far so good with GOOSE in my opinion.

Brobe

Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
usmc-ferg
Recipes 

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobeman
And without their distribution networks we would all be limited to local or regional selections.

With crafts taking more and more marketshare I am more concerned with th big brewers continuing to buy out and dumb down some of the better mid sized brewers. Although, so far so good with GOOSE in my opinion.

Brobe
That's just it. Why should we rely on the big 3 to supply hardworking brewers in America

Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Liked 241 Times on 183 Posts

Get rid of the big 3 and the largest of the craft brewers would fill the vacuum.

Making the same compromises for large scale bulk distribution and brewing what the largest customer base would buy at a price they'd pay. American light lagers.

Only the name on the bottle would change.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Spicemon1972
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Montgomery, IL
Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

The big 3 are very good at what they do and that's good for us. Each time we introduce a BMC drinker to the complexity, freshness and variety that craft brewing offers, we expand the art and further the art. IMHO an ice cold Coors on a hot day is great - the same way that some of my homebrew is great when in the right company. The BMC cartel keeps the agricultural producers busy and that keeps us in fresh ingredients so we can make rocking beers. I don't hate BMC, I respect them. My first love is craft and homebrew. There's a place for both. Win - win.

wubears71 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #9
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Minnow, North Dakota
Liked 1182 Times on 805 Posts

Then beer evangelism would be no fun. Always a great time showing BMC only people what real beer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS
The biggest argument against using UPS is the fact that a UPS employee sent me a package using FedEx.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #10
barrooze

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pearland, TX
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts

What really needs to be abolished is the 3 tier system.
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), DIPA, Funky Belgian Table Beer, Breakfast Stout Primary: CYBI Obsidian Stout clone, Citra Dust APA, Hop Dust APA Souring: None On Deck: Oktoberfest-ish Lager On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2016/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

People Like This