Monster Mill Hopper - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Monster Mill Hopper

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
Airplanedoc
 
Airplanedoc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Posts: 1,903
Liked 395 Times on 273 Posts



So I don't hijack the other thread about the best mill, I'll start my own.

From my reading, it sounds like there are some issues with the Monster Mill Hopper e.g. Thin metal, and potential for damage in transit. The Rebel mill hopper appears to be much more substantial.

So my question is assuming you had the means to make a hopper of wood or metal, is the standard hopper worth the $50 (cost+ Shipping) or would you make your own?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
jammin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 2,219
Liked 431 Times on 321 Posts


I have the large hopper for my MM3 2.0

I don't know where those rumors are coming from. It's a very nice hopper.

If it DID somehow show up damaged, I am sure MM would take care of you. Their customer care is top notch - trust me, I've used it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
ingchr1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ingchr1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Orange County NY
Posts: 500
Liked 77 Times on 62 Posts


I have the MM hopper and there are no issues with it. I think the hopper and base are worth the price, as I could not have built something as nice.
__________________
Chris

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
bullinachinashop
 
bullinachinashop's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
NE Ohio
Posts: 1,046
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts


All good! Fred is a good guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
corax
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Bay Area, CA
Posts: 148
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Mine seems quite sturdy.

If it got damaged in transit, I'm sure you would have no trouble getting it replaced. And unless you plan to leave it outside during violent hail storms, I doubt it will get damaged once in your possession.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
onthekeg
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 1,786
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts


I have had the large hopper on my MM3 for 2 years, no issues at all. The hopper is plenty strong!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
LLBeanJ's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Windsor, CO
Posts: 2,785
Liked 641 Times on 472 Posts


I have the standard MM hopper and I don't feel that it is flimsy at all. The Barley Crusher hopper, on the other hand, is one I would classify as flimsy. That's one of the reasons I opted for the MM over the BC.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 497 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LLBeanJ View Post
I have the standard MM hopper and I don't feel that it is flimsy at all. The Barley Crusher hopper, on the other hand, is one I would classify as flimsy. That's one of the reasons I opted for the MM over the BC.
Same here. I suspect that the one person that I saw post about issues with the hopper got the mill from one of the resellers of Monster Mills and not direct from Monster. Mine arrived without any damage (not assembled) when I ordered my mill (direct from Monster). I also got the hopper extension from Monster at the same time. Love how it will hold up to 39# of grain that way. Helps when your grain bills are normally over 15#.
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
logdrum
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
North Olmsted, Ohio
Posts: 939
Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts


Not even sure how it could get damaged in transit, it comes disassembled & flat packed. Love the mill & the hopper.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #10
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 974
Liked 104 Times on 79 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
So I don't hijack the other thread about the best mill, I'll start my own.

From my reading, it sounds like there are some issues with the Monster Mill Hopper e.g. Thin metal, and potential for damage in transit. The Rebel mill hopper appears to be much more substantial.

So my question is assuming you had the means to make a hopper of wood or metal, is the standard hopper worth the $50 (cost+ Shipping) or would you make your own?
I did find my hopper to be thinner than I expected, as it's 1/16th inch sheetmetal. If I had to do it over again I would probably skip the hopper and base and build my own.

The mill on the other hand is fantastic, and I agonized a long time over the Rebel vs MM2-2.0. I'm still glad I went with the MM2-2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Same here. I suspect that the one person that I saw post about issues with the hopper got the mill from one of the resellers of Monster Mills and not direct from Monster. Mine arrived without any damage (not assembled) when I ordered my mill (direct from Monster). I also got the hopper extension from Monster at the same time. Love how it will hold up to 39# of grain that way. Helps when your grain bills are normally over 15#.
I assume you're referring to me. It was purchased directly from Monster Mill and I still have the USPS Flat Rate Priority Shipping Box that the base, disassembled hopper and mill arrived in.

The hopper and base look identical to what's shown on

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/basehopper.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdrum View Post
Not even sure how it could get damaged in transit, it comes disassembled & flat packed. Love the mill & the hopper.
It came disassembled and flat packed, but nothing was bubble wrapped or packed in such a way to prevent free movement during transit, the only packing material included was packing peanuts. My best guess is that the mill bounced around during transit which snapped one of the mounting bolts (why on earth would you ship those half threaded into the mill?) and bent the corner of the 90 degree piece that fits over the mill itself.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
monster mill vs crankenstein vs rebel mill krenshaw Equipment/Sanitation 31 01-04-2014 10:48 PM
PVC Mill Hopper BuffaloSabresBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 10 03-24-2013 04:05 PM
Monster Mill Hopper Extension Apoxbrew Equipment/Sanitation 4 03-22-2012 03:06 PM
Monster Mill Grain Mill Stand Build Shay Equipment/Sanitation 12 12-24-2009 08:35 PM
Mill Hopper Designs? Bobby_M Equipment/Sanitation 1 02-22-2007 10:01 PM


Forum Jump