Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Tun Recirculation and stuck sparge

Old 06-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
jstewartgt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mash Tun Recirculation and stuck sparge

For a second batch in a row I've had a stuck batch sparge. I know it's related to recirculating the wort using my pump, but I cut the flow way down.

I'm currently using a 3/4" braid and it seems like it may have been crushed and just isn't letting the wort flow. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I figure I'll build a cpvc manifold to avoid the crush, but I'm also thinking maybe may crush is too fine and causing the grain bed to become too compacted.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I also use a 3/4" braid and haven't had a stuck mash since converting to that. Sounds like your crush may be too fine; post a pic of your crush.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
kbuzz
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

But I'll also offer this alternate advice - I use a CPVC manifold and have never had a stuck mash related to lautering method...
Bottled:
Future Brews: a gluten-free beer for my mother-in-law, barleywine

Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Aguas
Recipes 

Ive been having this problem. I think the braid needs to be replaced at some point. My crush is pretty fine, but i get a lot of intact hulls so I think it has more to do with the braid. It didnt happen when I first started using the braid.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
MikeinCT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

When I first built my mash tun (converted 5 gallon cooler) I used a braid. From time to time I experienced the "stuck sparge". Very frustrating. So I went to an all cooper manifold. Worked fine until one day it happened again. So my solution was to put a biab bag into the tun as a liner. This works great I have probably done 10 brews since then without issue.

good luck, Mike

Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Are you sure the braid was stainless? I've seen a lot of people have that problem because there are a lot of stainless look alike braids that are actually some type of plastic now.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
jstewartgt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My braid was stainless, but had warped due to the other stuck sparges.

As an update, I think I know what was happening in may case. After creating a cpvc manifold, it happened again. I believe what was happening is the piece of aluminum I was using to try and disperse the recirculation water was eventually sinking in the mash tun and sitting directly on the grain. I believe the surface area of that aluminum was creating a vacuum on the grain bed combined with the weight of the wort on top of it was compacting the grain bed to a point of no return.

Once I removed the aluminum, I didn't have any further issues.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
illinibrew04
Recipes 

Glad to hear you got it fixed