National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Big oops adding hops to keg

Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
iWillbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Big oops adding hops to keg

Hello brew friends... I brewed up a pale ale a week and a half ago and decided to go ahead and keg it... I couldn't find my hop bag and thought it would be ok to add the hops directly to the keg, an ounce of zythos pellets and an ounce of citra whole leaf, needless to say this was a mistake and my keg is stuck now but it's pressurized with 8 lbs co2. I'm going to let set now for a few weeks but when I go to transfer from this keg to another what would be the best way to separate the hops? And should I be concerned about it being pressurized then repressurized again? Thanks for any help

Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
krazydave
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

use a racking cane with a sanitized hop bag over the end of the hose. That will catch your hops.
I don't really think that it'll affect it much to be re-pressurized, but you could get a lot of foaming from the carbonation in the new keg.
Personally, I wouldn't carb it yet and just worry about that once it's in the second keg.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #3
iWillbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydave
use a racking cane with a sanitized hop bag over the end of the hose. That will catch your hops.
I don't really think that it'll affect it much to be re-pressurized, but you could get a lot of foaming from the carbonation in the new keg.
Personally, I wouldn't carb it yet and just worry about that once it's in the second keg.
Thanks man I'll have to go down and turn off my pressure to that keg... I could siphon it and put a hop bag on the end of the tube to reduce foaming right?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If it is carbonated, you'll want to purge until carbonation is gone. It will be a PITA to transfer it to another keg carbonated. And you will be exposed to air that much longer. Purge for a few days until it is mostly flat, then transfer. It will help if you can stick both kegs in a kegerator. The colder they are the less foaming while you are transferring.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Theis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Make sure you flush the 2nd keg with co2 or use dry ice prior to transferring your beer to reduce oxidation. Racking shouldn't be too hard, just have to target the swet spot between the pellets which will have settled to the bottom and the dry hops which will be floating on the top

Old 07-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
iWillbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theis
Make sure you flush the 2nd keg with co2 or use dry ice prior to transferring your beer to reduce oxidation. Racking shouldn't be too hard, just have to target the swet spot between the pellets which will have settled to the bottom and the dry hops which will be floating on the top
So by flushing should I have the co2 running through the keg as I'm racking?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWillbrew View Post
So by flushing should I have the co2 running through the keg as I'm racking?
No just fill it with the lid off through the regular gas in post. You will see the CO2 as a cloud in the tank. Then rack into this cloud. Only takes running the CO2 for a few seconds to fill the opened tank. It is heavier than air so it will sit in the tank until/unless disturbed.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

And chill the beer before you rack it to minimize foaming.

Using pellets to dry hop in the keg is a big problem. If you plan on doing this much there are wire mesh filters that can be installed over the end of the out tube. I have one keg with a filter that I use for black berry cider.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
iWillbrew
Recipes 

Thanks for the input guys... I feel a lot better about getting it transferred and ready for consumption

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 50

These are you friend

I can put one oz of pellets into each ball.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.