Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Thermometer

Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
BetterSense
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Richardson, Texas
Liked 56 Times on 45 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Co...al+thermometer

I have two of these and I'm a big fan. They read quickly and have withstood a lot of abuse.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
knotquiteawake

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Dallas TX
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9842-Co...al+thermometer

I have two of these and I'm a big fan. They read quickly and have withstood a lot of abuse.
That was the one I got before the Thermapen. It worked allright, was off by a few degrees, and broke after less than a year.
You get what you pay for.

I didn't pay full price for the thermapen, got it from their open box sale.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
govner1
Kept Man!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Atlanta, GA
Liked 405 Times on 338 Posts

On the advice of my LHBS I purchased Cooper HACCP Coolit Rite.
Found a great but on Amazon & it has been quick reading and accurate.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
BStewie
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Dallas, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
A digital thermometer is nice while steeping but there really is no need for a thermometer in the kettle...you heat until it boils, time it, turn the heat off. I use a digital thermometer with a folding probe to check temps during; 1) steeping, 2) post boil chilling, and 3) yeast pitching.

Once you start mashing then it's a different story.
What thermometer do you use? This is what I need, a new one for, pre boil, post boil and pre pitch.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Liked 1759 Times on 1397 Posts

When you are brewing with extract you don't need an exact temperature since your steeping can happen over a wide range of temperature without problems. I do like to have a thermometer in the wort as I approach the boil so I can turn the burner down to avoid a boil over but again, accuracy isn't really critical.

When accuracy becomes critical is if you are going to all grain brewing and need your mash temperature to be right. A few degrees difference from what you intend can have you end up with a very sweet beer or one that is very dry. Until you go all grain, just use whatever thermometer is handy for you.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
silvery37
Recipes 

Apr 2012
austin, tx
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Its about $100 new but the thermapen is awesome. Temperature to within a 1/10 of a degree in four seconds. Its accurate and fast enough you can get different temperatures in different spots in the mash. Great for grilling too.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvery37 View Post
Its about $100 new but the thermapen is awesome. Temperature to within a 1/10 of a degree in four seconds. Its accurate and fast enough you can get different temperatures in different spots in the mash. Great for grilling too.
Brown one is on sale for $79

Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3706 Times on 3178 Posts

Steeping with crystal grains in extract kits still use the same temp range as mashing. Go over 170 & you still leach taninns from the grain hulls. Water volume with steeping,however,is the less crytical area. Time when steeping is rarely more than 20-30 minutes that I've ever seen. And my cheap glass floating thermometer still does a great job when temp readings are needed. I tie 3-4 twist ties together,with a hangman's noose at one end to hold the thermometer. The other end to the BK handle. I can then adjust the hieght of the thermometer in the kettle. Cheap & effective.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
ReddHead
Recipes 

Sep 2012
South, NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use a glass floating thermometer but it can be a pain to read and I'm afraid one day it may slip out of my fingers and smash into the bottom of the kettle.

I'd love a digital one that could stick to the side of the kettle but have a floating sensor that could dip down into the wort.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
J187

Recipes 

Jan 2012
, MA
Liked 96 Times on 74 Posts

I love my candy/oil thermometer.

Very accurate, no temp problems. Nice easy to read display and the cover helps keep it from smashing when I store it and also allows me to pull it out of the pot and flip it upside down almost like the cover and thermometer form a bipod stand - so it never touches anything unsanitized.