Dry Irish Stout in Primary for 3 weeks. Is that okay? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Irish Stout in Primary for 3 weeks. Is that okay?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
SledgeH
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Allentown, PA
Posts: 218
Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts


Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
buffalojoe29
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeH View Post
Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.
Hi Sledge,

Okay thank you! I left the last batch alone and it turned out great.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
evrose
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 840
Liked 304 Times on 160 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojoe29 View Post
Awesome thank you guys! Is there any need if, let's say I leave it in there for four weeks, to transfer it to a secondary?

How soon can I bottle this damn thing? (Sorry for the newb questions, it's my second batch ever. Northern Brewer Dry Irish Extract Kit)

Should I cascade a little sugar in there?
I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks, then bottling. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
buffalojoe29
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.
Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
evrose
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 840
Liked 304 Times on 160 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojoe29 View Post
Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point
So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
buffalojoe29
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers.
Hahaha like I said, fair point.

As for adding sugar to the primary a few weeks in, a homebrewing buddy does it and suggested that I should do the same. Since I'm still new at this, I thought I would ask the question on here to see if that is legitimate or not. Given the overwhelming response, it's definitely not something I want to do.

Thanks again for the help you SOB (I'll RTFM next time) and enjoy the beer!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need primary secondary and bottle date advise for Irish Stout cannman Fermentation & Yeast 8 05-09-2012 07:46 PM
Imperial Stout still sweet after two weeks in primary reet Fermentation & Yeast 10 04-14-2012 01:28 PM
Imperial Stout pitched on Irish Stout yeast cake Mexicanconnection2002 Fermentation & Yeast 16 09-21-2011 12:41 AM
4 weeks in primary? spurcrazy Fermentation & Yeast 14 03-03-2011 09:18 PM
2 Weeks In Primary? biggerboat88 Fermentation & Yeast 5 11-18-2010 11:38 PM


Forum Jump