Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Dry Irish Stout in Primary for 3 weeks. Is that okay?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
SledgeH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
buffalojoe29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeH View Post
Yes. Yes it does sound weird. there is no need to do that. adding something like that could actually do harm. Leave it be, the yeast are happy with what they've got.
Hi Sledge,

Okay thank you! I left the last batch alone and it turned out great.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojoe29 View Post
Awesome thank you guys! Is there any need if, let's say I leave it in there for four weeks, to transfer it to a secondary?

How soon can I bottle this damn thing? (Sorry for the newb questions, it's my second batch ever. Northern Brewer Dry Irish Extract Kit)

Should I cascade a little sugar in there?
I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks, then bottling. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
buffalojoe29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
I don't mean to sound like a jerk (or at least, not too much), but did you read the instruction sheet that came with that kit? I'm brewing the same kit right now, and I PLANNED on leaving it in the primary for three weeks. That's what the instruction sheet said to do if you don't use a secondary.

The instructions do say that the timelines are a bit flexible, but it gives ranges for each stage and contingencies for not using a secondary... it's all right there.
Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #15
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalojoe29 View Post
Ah, c'mon man. I looked at those instructions a few weeks back and simply forgot.

You do sound like a jerk but it is a fair point
So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
buffalojoe29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evrose View Post
So... and I apologize for hitting this again... why didn't you go back and refer to the instructions when you were wondering what to do? Seriously man, this couldn't be a simpler process. Each step is laid out very clearly. Nowhere does it mention "cascading a little sugar" either... wtf is that?

My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth, would be to make a calendar of events on brewday. Mark the day you brew, the day you plan to bottle, and the day to plan to pop the first bottle open. Of course, you can always change those dates, but if you plot it all out WITH THE HELP OF THE INSTRUCTION SHEET on the day you make the beer, this type of thing becomes pretty easy.

I'm bottling the same kit this Saturday. Can't wait to try it out! Cheers.
Hahaha like I said, fair point.

As for adding sugar to the primary a few weeks in, a homebrewing buddy does it and suggested that I should do the same. Since I'm still new at this, I thought I would ask the question on here to see if that is legitimate or not. Given the overwhelming response, it's definitely not something I want to do.

Thanks again for the help you SOB (I'll RTFM next time) and enjoy the beer!