Spoiled brew. By adding ice - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Spoiled brew. By adding ice

Old 06-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Gustavo
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, ca

Well yesterday while brewing a cream ale. I was preparing the ice bath. My two year old grabbed I've from the ice bath and threw it in the brew. It was an extract ale and I use US-05. My brew has whit spots on top of the Krausen( how ever you spell it). It's been aprox. 12hrs

Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Gustavo
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, ca

Any ways I was wondering if adding ice to primary could infect the beer or am I just another paranoid newB

Old 06-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts

I suspect you'll be fine. I've often had two-toned krausen.
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

Jun 2012
, Mississippi
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts

I have intentionally frozen sterilized water and added it to the brew kettle for rapid cooldown while I was brewing concentrated batches. Kettle wasn't big enough to hold and boil 5 gal. I never had any issues with it, but I always worried about having problems. If your fermentation kicked off well, I agree with pjj2ba. You should be fine.

Eschew obfuscation

Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Gustavo
Recipes 

Jul 2011
, ca

Thanx, just I never had yeast look like that and it's my first time my airlock is not going crazy in the first 24 hrs, but Thanx will check gravity tomorrow

Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Burbs of the Big Easy, La
Liked 171 Times on 138 Posts

I made an AG cream ale this weekend and my krausen is a bit different from what I'm used to but then again, I've never made a cream ale before. Not nasty looking but different colors of krausen. Smells awesome though.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Liked 355 Times on 309 Posts

Yea, you definitely wouldn't see an infection in 24 hours. I'm sure you're just looking at normal-old krausen. They look different every time.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Krausens run all the way from a little fizz to cottage cheese with dirt clots. Don't worry.

PS It could get infected from the ice, but it's very unlikely.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
AviatorTroy
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well if your two year old had been playing with dog poop right before that like someone I know then you might have a problem, but short of that, I think you're going to be fine.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

One time I had my wort all nice and cool, aerated, in the bucket ready to pitch yeast, brew day went perfect so I was happy. As I was reaching up for the yeast which had been rehydrating, my two year old daughter came out of NOWHERE, right up to the bucket and sneezed into it. Like DIRECTLY into it.

Turned out fine...

beertroll Likes This